I hope that's the right place

• Thread starter limio
  • Start date
In summary, the person is trying to create a magnetic box to levitate objects inside. They have found that alpaca cannot be magnetized, and that the mass of the object is a problem. They are looking for ideas on how to make the project work.
limio
hello all...
i need u're help,
well, i want to build a magnetic box - now, i have 4 hollow objects 2cm on 2 cm,
(they made of alpaca - a silverf alloy), and i want them to "flow" in the air - so i thought to build a small box 10 by 10 cm, that is open on one side,made of magnet so that the objects will "flow" betwin the magnets...
now I've been told that alpaca can't be magnetise..and that the mass of the object is too large...
do u think that there's a way that i can do it?
please help me...
i can change the matriel to steel or some thing else...
p.s. ...sorry for the english I'm not used to it...

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm going to go with my best estimate of what you're trying to do, since the wording is a little unusual. You mean that you want to magnetically levitate something inside a display box of some kind, right?
To start with, I've never heard of a magnetic alloy containing silver, so you probably heard right. Other than that, I can predict some serious stability problems; ie: keeping the object right-side-up and centred. The first tendency of any repelled magnet is to try and flip over to be attracted instead. Some more information, and maybe a picture would be helpful.

limio said:
hello all...
i need u're help,
well, i want to build a magnetic box - now, i have 4 hollow objects 2cm on 2 cm,
(they made of alpaca - a silverf alloy), and i want them to "flow" in the air - so i thought to build a small box 10 by 10 cm, that is open on one side,made of magnet so that the objects will "flow" betwin the magnets...
now I've been told that alpaca can't be magnetise..and that the mass of the object is too large...
do u think that there's a way that i can do it?
please help me...
i can change the matriel to steel or some thing else...
p.s. ...sorry for the english I'm not used to it...

Try looking at

http://my.execpc.com/~rhoadley/maglev.htm

for ideas.

Note that it is possible to levitate conductors if you have an AC electromagnet. It may be power hungry, get hot, and be difficult to hide the wiring, though.

thank u all

well first of all I'm sorry about the english,
secondely, well i thought that it would by impossible or very difficult, any way thanks for the help, and if some thing good will come out of it i'll let u know...

What does "I hope that's the right place" mean?

"I hope that's the right place" is a commonly used phrase that expresses uncertainty or doubt about a specific location or decision. It could mean that the speaker is unsure if they have found the correct place or if their actions are appropriate for the situation.

Why do people use the phrase "I hope that's the right place"?

People use this phrase as a way to express their uncertainty or hesitation about a certain location or decision. It can also be used to seek reassurance from others or to acknowledge that there may be a possibility of being wrong.

Is the phrase "I hope that's the right place" a scientific term?

No, the phrase "I hope that's the right place" is not a scientific term. It is a commonly used expression in everyday language to convey uncertainty or doubt.

How can the phrase "I hope that's the right place" be interpreted in different contexts?

The interpretation of this phrase can vary depending on the context in which it is used. It could indicate a lack of confidence in one's actions or decisions, a desire for validation or approval, or a general sense of uncertainty about a situation or location.

What is the importance of using clear and precise language in scientific research?

Clear and precise language is crucial in scientific research because it allows for accurate communication of ideas and findings. It helps to avoid misunderstandings and ensures that the intended meaning is conveyed to others. In addition, precise language allows for replication and verification of results, which is essential for the advancement of scientific knowledge.