I just started Chemistry please

• Thread starter rikku
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary, in this conversation the participants discuss how to find the density of a sample substance that contains 15% copper, 35% aluminum, and 50% iron by mass. They suggest using the method of multiplying each percentage by the density of the substance and then adding the resultant numbers. They also discuss the definition of density and how to apply it to this problem. Finally, they mention using dimensional analysis to determine the final density of the sample.
rikku
I just started Chemistry need help please!

Help me write equation for the following problem :smile:
A sample substance is 15% copper, 35% aluminum, 50% iron by mass. Density of copper = 8.92, aluminum=2.70, iron=7.86. What is the density of the sample? :approve:
I have some ideas but want to check.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I'm guessing, I haven't taken Chemistry yet: Multiply each percentage by the density of the substance. For example 0.35 x 8.9 - then add all your resultant numbers.

How is density defined?

so-crates said:
How is density defined?
what do you mean?

what do % represent here? Mass?

rikku said:
what do you mean?

I mean, what is the definition of density? That might be a good place to start and might give you some insight into the problem. I am trying to follow the method of my namesake: The answer to the question is already in your mind, it just needs to be discovered. :smile:

rikku said:
what do % represent here? Mass?

Yes. When it says 50% by mass, it means that in a 10g sample, 5g of the mass is iron.

I like the way you think, so-crates.

Help me write equation for the following problem
A sample substance is 15% copper, 35% aluminum, 50% iron by mass. Density of copper = 8.92, aluminum=2.70, iron=7.86. What is the density of the sample?
I have some ideas but want to check.

assume you have a 100 gram sample so you would have 15 grams of copper 35 of al and 50 grams of Fe, now density is mass over volume so 8.92 g/cm^3 so do dimensional analysis and see how much of the 100 grams the aluminum takes up, then add that for each value so you should get what all of them take up individually so then you get the 100 grams you assumed you had, and divide by the added values that you got

Related to I just started Chemistry please

1. What is the best way to study chemistry?

The best way to study chemistry is to actively engage with the material. This can include taking thorough notes, practicing problems, and utilizing resources such as textbooks and online tutorials. It may also be helpful to form study groups or seek help from a tutor if needed.

2. How can I remember all the different chemical reactions?

One way to remember chemical reactions is to break them down into smaller parts and understand the underlying principles and patterns. It can also be helpful to practice writing out the reactions and understanding the role of each reactant and product. Flashcards and visual aids may also aid in memorization.

3. What is the difference between organic and inorganic chemistry?

Organic chemistry primarily deals with compounds containing carbon, while inorganic chemistry focuses on all other elements. Organic chemistry often involves the study of living things and their chemical processes, while inorganic chemistry covers a wider range of topics such as minerals, metals, and non-living matter.

4. How can I prepare for a chemistry exam?

To prepare for a chemistry exam, it is important to review all material covered in class and in your notes. Practice problems and quizzes can also help to solidify understanding and identify areas that need more attention. It may also be helpful to create a study schedule and start studying early to avoid cramming.

5. What career opportunities are available for someone with a degree in chemistry?

A degree in chemistry can lead to a variety of career opportunities. Some options include working in research and development, pharmaceuticals, environmental science, chemical engineering, and teaching. Chemistry also provides a strong foundation for further studies in fields such as medicine, dentistry, and law.