I made 2 equations but can they become 1

• MHB
  • Thread starter DRMSquared
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed a problem with a cnc machine and the use of two equations to solve it. The equations involved finding the center point of a radius and combining them to make one equation. It was clarified that the first equation used the Arcsine function and the second equation involved using a constant. The final combined equation was provided for simplicity and the conversation ended with gratitude for the help.
DRMSquared
So a little background then to the point, I needed to get a cnc machine to do something it don’t want to do, so I came up with 2 equations to lie to the machine to get it to do an operation correctly. It is a radius equation that finds the center point of a radius if it is not a full radius. Can these be combined to make one?

1st: Asin(chord/radius)=x
2nd: radius[sin(x/2)]=y

Y is the input for the machine, it’s the important answer.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Welcome, DRMSquared! (Wave)

DRMSquared said:
Can these be combined to make one?

1st: Asin(chord/radius)=x
2nd: radius[sin(x/2)]=y

Y is the input for the machine, it’s the important answer.
In the first equation, does Asin mean the Arcsine, or does it mean $A$ times sin where $A$ is some constant?

Euge said:
Welcome, DRMSquared! (Wave)

In the first equation, does Asin mean the Arcsine, or does it mean $A$ times sin where $A$ is some constant?

It would be sin-1 so I’m guessing arcsine

Ok. For simplicity, let $C = \text{chord}$ and $r = \text{radius}$. Equation 1 is then $x = \arcsin(C/r)$. Plugging in the expression of $x$ into Equation 2 yields $$y = r\sin(.5\arcsin(C/r))$$

Euge said:
Ok. For simplicity, let $C = \text{chord}$ and $r = \text{radius}$. Equation 1 is then $x = \arcsin(C/r)$. Plugging in the expression of $x$ into Equation 2 yields $$y = r\sin(.5\arcsin(C/r))$$

You my friend are awesome, thank you so much, now I can easily plug this into my hp48g and have an easier and quicker time doing this problem.

What are the 2 equations and can they become 1?

The two equations are mathematical expressions that relate different variables to each other. They can potentially become one if they are equivalent, meaning they have the same solution for all values of the variables.

How can I tell if my 2 equations can become 1?

You can check if the two equations are equivalent by solving them and comparing the solutions. If they have the same solution for all values of the variables, then they can become one.

What if my 2 equations are not equivalent?

If the two equations are not equivalent, then they cannot become one. This means that they represent different relationships between the variables and cannot be combined into a single equation.

What are the benefits of combining 2 equations into 1?

Combining two equations into one can simplify the problem and make it easier to solve. It can also help to identify relationships between variables that may not be apparent when the equations are separate.

Are there any limitations to combining 2 equations into 1?

Yes, there are limitations to combining two equations into one. The equations must be equivalent for them to be combined, and this may not always be the case. Additionally, combining equations may not always lead to a simpler problem or provide any additional insights.