I must find the depth of the well. (Waves)

  • Thread starter Thread starter afcwestwarrior
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Depth Waves
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
afcwestwarrior
Messages
453
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A stone is dropped into a well. The splash is heard 3 seconds later. What is the depth of the well?


Homework Equations


the change in t= change in length/ velocity of sound


The Attempt at a Solution


V= 343 m/s which is the speed of sound

Ok I solved for depth. I made L=d. Then my equation looked like this. D= t * v

D= (3s) * 343 m/s = 1029 meters

The answer is 41 meters if you round off. I've seen solutions to this problem, but I need a walkthrough as to how to do it because I don't understand how the experts on cramster solved this problem.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to also consider how long it takes the falling stone to reach the water.

Hint: the stone does not travel 343 m/s.
 
Ok so the time it takes the stone to fall is T. Shouldn't the time be close to that of the splash. So how do I find out the stone's Velocity.