I must find the depth of the well. (Waves)

• Thread starter afcwestwarrior
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Depth Waves
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem where a stone is dropped into a well and the depth of the well is needed to be determined. The solution involves using the equation L = d = t * v, where v represents the velocity of sound (which is found to be 343 m/s) and t represents the time it takes for the splash to be heard (which is given as 3 seconds). However, the time it takes for the stone to fall (T) also needs to be considered, which can be found using the formulas for constant acceleration. In order to solve the problem, the stone's initial velocity (which is zero) must also be taken into account. The final answer, when rounded off, is 41 meters
afcwestwarrior

Homework Statement

A stone is dropped into a well. The splash is heard 3 seconds later. What is the depth of the well?

Homework Equations

the change in t= change in length/ velocity of sound

The Attempt at a Solution

V= 343 m/s which is the speed of sound

Ok I solved for depth. I made L=d. Then my equation looked like this. D= t * v

D= (3s) * 343 m/s = 1029 meters

The answer is 41 meters if you round off. I've seen solutions to this problem, but I need a walkthrough as to how to do it because I don't understand how the experts on cramster solved this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to also consider how long it takes the falling stone to reach the water.

Hint: the stone does not travel 343 m/s.

Ok so the time it takes the stone to fall is T. Shouldn't the time be close to that of the splash. So how do I find out the stone's Velocity.

Related to I must find the depth of the well. (Waves)

1. How do you measure the depth of a well using waves?

To measure the depth of a well using waves, you will need to use a technique called seismology. This involves sending sound waves into the well and measuring the time it takes for the waves to bounce back off the bottom of the well. The longer it takes for the waves to return, the deeper the well is.

2. What type of waves are used to measure the depth of a well?

Seismic waves, specifically compression (P) waves, are used to measure the depth of a well. These waves travel faster through solid materials, making them ideal for measuring the depth of a well.

3. Are there any limitations to using waves to measure the depth of a well?

Yes, there are some limitations to using waves to measure the depth of a well. Factors such as the composition of the well walls and the presence of any obstructions can affect the accuracy of the measurement. Additionally, the equipment used for measuring the waves must be carefully calibrated for accurate results.

4. How deep can a well be measured using waves?

The depth of a well that can be measured using waves depends on the equipment and techniques used, but it is possible to measure depths of up to several kilometers using advanced seismology methods.

5. What are the benefits of using waves to measure the depth of a well?

Using waves to measure the depth of a well is a non-invasive and cost-effective method, as it does not require drilling or excavation. It also allows for a more accurate measurement compared to other traditional methods, such as using a tape measure or estimating based on the well's circumference.