1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I need a better understanding

1. Mar 10, 2004 #1
    This is going to sound really dumb, but i was really hoping some of you would know some sites or have some work about waves we are studing it in my 9th grade physics class and i just cant get a grasp on it. Any thing would really be helpful

Thanks the guy who cant spell

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2004 #2
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=204

thats the thread with a lot of sites. If you want some explanation in general, tell me where you fail in understanding it. What is not clear for you, and so on. I'm sure there are lots of ppl here who are able to give you a better explanation than I can.

Good luck

4. Mar 11, 2004 #3

turin

Homework Helper

One thing that comes to mind is not to get confused with displacement and propagation. A wave is a propagation of a displacement. The displacement travels through space, and so it has a speed, and you can determine a distance traveled in a certain amount of time. The displacement of some waves (i.e. water waves and sound waves) is the same kind of distance that was just mentioned concerning the propagation, so it is easy to get them confused when you first see this stuff.

5. Mar 13, 2004 #4
    thanks alot

I checked those sites out and found it vary helpful and about the different kids of waves i checked with my teacher and she agreed completly

sorry its so brief but i have major homework

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?