Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I need a pump that will shoot LOTS of water extremely far

1. Jan 21, 2007 #1
    what would be a good setup to shoot as much water as possible , as far as possible?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2007 #2
    Distance is a function of nozzle velocity and jet stability.

So a small nozzle will project a fine jet a long distance, but if you want bulk water flow you will need a larger nozzle.

Putting a spin at the nozzle exit will increase jet stability.

When you have selected your nozzle then you need a pump to deliver the mass flow desired. Benoullis equation will allow you to match the maximum system pressure at any point to the maximum mass flow.
    In general pick a pump that pumps a lot of water through a large orifice and then throttle it down to a small nozzle.

Remember to work out the power required to move that much water as well, otherwise your batteries will run flat before you get the system up to pressure.
  4. Jan 22, 2007 #3

Staff: Mentor

Those are pretty vague constraints, Erazman. You could buy yourself a fire engine, but I suspect that that is somewhat beyond your budget.
  5. Jan 22, 2007 #4

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The 1MW pump powering Lake Geneva's "Jet d'Eau" might do.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?