Exploring Simple Yet Calculus-Driven Questions in 4000 Words

• Thread starter PPMC
  • Start date
In summary, the OP is looking for questions which are experimentally simple but require some calculus and plenty of explanation.
PPMC
Since the answers of posts come across far more questions than an average person, I was hoping someone might be able to offer decent question for me to answer adequately in 4000 words. Preferably something which is experimentally rather simple but requires some calculus and plenty of explanation. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I thought the OP wanted to answer questions in order to help posters in the forum.

Shooting star said:
I thought the OP wanted to answer questions in order to help posters in the forum.

Yeah, the original post was a bit confusing for me as well. After reading it several times, I think the poster meant to say this instead:

Since the answerers of posts come across far more questions than an average person...

Not great grammar, but I think that's what they meant.

Sorry, upon rereading it my post is worded quite awkwardly but I did mean answerers. I'm looking into the capacitor question now, it seems interesting. Thanks for the help. Additional questions are appreciated in case this doesn't work out.

berkeman said:
Photoelectric effect: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photoelectric_effect

Bownian motion: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brownian_motion

Trajectories (gets more complicated with air resistance, etc.): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trajectory

BTW, my post may not have been real clear either. I meant that by reading those articles, you will see the kinds of questions that lead to the calculations and discoveries being discussed. Like, "Why does Brownian motion occur?" and "Why are electrons only ejected from a surface when the wavelength of light is shorter than some minimim value?"

I'm looking for a more specific type of question though. Like the trajectory of a basketball thrown out of a second story window and bouncing up a hill rather than trajectories since I will have to conduct an experiment. I've been trying to come up with something for weeks but finding questions is often much harder than finding the answers for me. haha. So if anyone is already looking for an answer (hence they have visited the forum) then they can present me with a question. I am trying to search through the posts to find something which can be experimented on and requires a lengthy response, however this is proving difficult so I have created this thread to get help in isolating appropriate questions. Thanks.

What is "Exploring Simple Yet Calculus-Driven Questions in 4000 Words"?

"Exploring Simple Yet Calculus-Driven Questions in 4000 Words" is a scientific research project that focuses on using calculus to answer simple questions in 4000 words or less. It aims to demonstrate the power and usefulness of calculus in solving real-world problems and encouraging critical thinking.

Why is it important to explore simple yet calculus-driven questions?

Exploring simple yet calculus-driven questions helps to solidify our understanding of calculus and its applications in various fields. It also allows us to appreciate the fundamental concepts of calculus and how it can be used to solve everyday problems.

What are some examples of simple yet calculus-driven questions?

Some examples of simple yet calculus-driven questions include finding the maximum or minimum value of a function, calculating the rate of change of a variable, and determining the area under a curve.

How is calculus used to answer these questions?

Calculus is used to answer these questions by providing a systematic approach to analyzing and solving problems. It involves using the concepts of limits, derivatives, and integrals to model and understand the behavior of various functions.

What are the potential benefits of exploring simple yet calculus-driven questions?

Exploring simple yet calculus-driven questions can lead to a deeper understanding of calculus, which can then be applied in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It can also improve critical thinking skills and problem-solving abilities, which are valuable skills in any profession.