I converting conditional statements into logical notation

So you can use "ø ∈ A" as an assertion that A is not empty. You might use this in the construction of the natural numbers, for example; it's consistent with the idea that the natural numbers are built up from simpler sets in which ø ∈ ø.So, you might translate a) and b) as follows:a) ∃n∀x (x ∈ A → (x = ø v x = n))b) ∃z∀y (y ∈ A → y = z)c) ø ∈ A
dabige1010
i need to covert the following conditional statements into logical notation using propositional connectives and quantifiers:

a) A has at most one element

b)A is a singleton

c)ø ∈ A

you don't have to give me the answers, just help me get started or give me some hints

Physics news on Phys.org
dabige1010 said:
i need to covert the following conditional statements into logical notation using propositional connectives and quantifiers:

a) A has at most one element
Think of the cardinality of A.

b)A is a singleton
What is a singleton? Suppose A has two elements; what can you say about these elements?
c)ø ∈ A
This says "the empty set is a member of A." This doesn't make sense, to me; don't you mean "the empty set is a subset of A?"

you don't have to give me the answers, just help me get started or give me some hints[/QUOTE]

this is what I've come up with:

a) ∀x(x ∈ A → (x⇔ø v x ⇔ n))

b) ∀z(z ∈ A ⇔ z = x)

C) i didnt mistype, "ø ∈ A" is what the question said. i guess it's just a typo by the prof.

let me know what you think of the two answers i do have though.

thanks a lot!

ø ∈ A is quite sensible; it's used in the canonical set-theoretic construction of Peano arithmetic, for example. But I'm not sure what you'd need to do to rewrite it.

dabige1010 said:
a) ∀x(x ∈ A → (x⇔ø v x ⇔ n))

b) ∀z(z ∈ A ⇔ z = x)

These have free variables, which I don't think you want. For the first one, I'd expect something like ∃n∀x (x ∈ A → x=n). Also, I'm not at all sure what you intend by "x⇔ø", which is surely not the same as your use of the double arrow in the second formula.

CRGreathouse said:
ø ∈ A is quite sensible; it's used in the canonical set-theoretic construction of Peano arithmetic, for example.

Fair enough. So; what does it mean?

cristo said:
Fair enough. So; what does it mean?

"The empty set is a member of A", what else? You might use the following definitions for numbers, for example:

0 = ø
S(n) = n U {n}

So that
1 = {ø} U ø = {0}
2 = {0} U {{0}} = {0, {0}} = {0, 1}
3 = {0, 1} U {{0, 1}} = {0, 1, 2}
. . .

"ø is a subset of A" is true for all sets A, but "ø is a member of A" is true for only some A. "ø ∈ ø" is false, for example; nothing is in the empty set, not even the empty set.

1. How do I convert a conditional statement into logical notation?

To convert a conditional statement into logical notation, you need to identify the antecedent (the "if" part) and the consequent (the "then" part). The antecedent becomes the hypothesis and the consequent becomes the conclusion. Then, you can use logical symbols such as "→" (implies) and "∧" (and) to represent the conditional statement.

2. What are the basic logical symbols used in converting conditional statements?

The basic logical symbols used in converting conditional statements are "→" (implies), "∧" (and), "∨" (or), and "¬" (not). These symbols help to represent the logical relationships between different parts of a conditional statement.

3. Can a conditional statement with multiple conditions be converted into logical notation?

Yes, a conditional statement with multiple conditions can be converted into logical notation. You can use "∧" (and) to connect multiple conditions in the antecedent or the consequent, depending on the logical relationship you want to represent.

4. How do I represent the negation of a conditional statement in logical notation?

The negation of a conditional statement can be represented using the logical symbol "¬" (not). To negate a conditional statement, you need to negate both the hypothesis and the conclusion separately and then connect them with "→" (implies). This results in the negation of the original conditional statement.

5. Are there any rules or guidelines for converting conditional statements into logical notation?

Yes, there are some rules and guidelines that can help you convert conditional statements into logical notation correctly. These include identifying the antecedent and consequent, using the appropriate logical symbols, and following the correct order of operations. It is also important to understand the logical relationships between different parts of a conditional statement.