1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I need help converting conditional statements into logical notation!

1. Dec 5, 2007 #1
    i need to covert the following conditional statements into logical notation using propositional connectives and quantifiers:

a) A has at most one element

b)A is a singleton

c)ø ∈ A

you dont have to give me the answers, just help me get started or give me some hints

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2007 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Think of the cardinality of A.

What is a singleton? Suppose A has two elements; what can you say about these elements?
    This says "the empty set is a member of A." This doesn't make sense, to me; don't you mean "the empty set is a subset of A?"

you dont have to give me the answers, just help me get started or give me some hints[/QUOTE]

4. Dec 5, 2007 #3
    this is what ive come up with:

a) ∀x(x ∈ A → (x⇔ø v x ⇔ n))

b) ∀z(z ∈ A ⇔ z = x)

C) i didnt mistype, "ø ∈ A" is what the question said. i guess it's just a typo by the prof.

let me know what you think of the two answers i do have though.

thanks a lot!

5. Dec 5, 2007 #4

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

ø ∈ A is quite sensible; it's used in the canonical set-theoretic construction of Peano arithmetic, for example. But I'm not sure what you'd need to do to rewrite it.

These have free variables, which I don't think you want. For the first one, I'd expect something like ∃n∀x (x ∈ A → x=n). Also, I'm not at all sure what you intend by "x⇔ø", which is surely not the same as your use of the double arrow in the second formula.

6. Dec 6, 2007 #5

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Fair enough. So; what does it mean?

7. Dec 6, 2007 #6

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

"The empty set is a member of A", what else? You might use the following definitions for numbers, for example:

0 = ø
    S(n) = n U {n}

So that
    1 = {ø} U ø = {0}
    2 = {0} U {{0}} = {0, {0}} = {0, 1}
    3 = {0, 1} U {{0, 1}} = {0, 1, 2}
    . . .

"ø is a subset of A" is true for all sets A, but "ø is a member of A" is true for only some A. "ø ∈ ø" is false, for example; nothing is in the empty set, not even the empty set.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?