Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I need help converting conditional statements into logical notation!

1. Dec 5, 2007 #1
    i need to covert the following conditional statements into logical notation using propositional connectives and quantifiers:

a) A has at most one element

b)A is a singleton

c)ø ∈ A

you dont have to give me the answers, just help me get started or give me some hints

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2007 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Think of the cardinality of A.

What is a singleton? Suppose A has two elements; what can you say about these elements?
    This says "the empty set is a member of A." This doesn't make sense, to me; don't you mean "the empty set is a subset of A?"

you dont have to give me the answers, just help me get started or give me some hints[/QUOTE]

4. Dec 5, 2007 #3
    this is what ive come up with:

a) ∀x(x ∈ A → (x⇔ø v x ⇔ n))

b) ∀z(z ∈ A ⇔ z = x)

C) i didnt mistype, "ø ∈ A" is what the question said. i guess it's just a typo by the prof.

let me know what you think of the two answers i do have though.

thanks a lot!

5. Dec 5, 2007 #4

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

ø ∈ A is quite sensible; it's used in the canonical set-theoretic construction of Peano arithmetic, for example. But I'm not sure what you'd need to do to rewrite it.

These have free variables, which I don't think you want. For the first one, I'd expect something like ∃n∀x (x ∈ A → x=n). Also, I'm not at all sure what you intend by "x⇔ø", which is surely not the same as your use of the double arrow in the second formula.

6. Dec 6, 2007 #5

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Fair enough. So; what does it mean?

7. Dec 6, 2007 #6

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

"The empty set is a member of A", what else? You might use the following definitions for numbers, for example:

0 = ø
    S(n) = n U {n}

So that
    1 = {ø} U ø = {0}
    2 = {0} U {{0}} = {0, {0}} = {0, 1}
    3 = {0, 1} U {{0, 1}} = {0, 1, 2}
    . . .

"ø is a subset of A" is true for all sets A, but "ø is a member of A" is true for only some A. "ø ∈ ø" is false, for example; nothing is in the empty set, not even the empty set.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?