I proving l^2 is a complete metric space

In summary, the proof for the completeness of the sequence space l^2 involves constructing a new sequence and showing that it is also in l^2, as well as showing that the original Cauchy sequence converges to the new sequence in norm. This can be done by adapting a proof for the completeness of the bounded sequence space l^infinity.
michael.wes
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Prove that the sequence space l^2 (the set of all square-summable sequences) is complete in the usual l^2 distance.

Homework Equations

No equations.. just the definition of completeness and l^2.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have a sample proof from class to show that the space of bounded sequences l^infinity is complete in the sup-norm, but I'm having trouble adapting it. I asked some friends, and they linked me some difficult looking proofs... this is one of the early questions on my assignment so I think the modification of the proof should be straightforward. I have some intuition about cauchy sequences in l^2, but I can't seem to finish the proof.

I don't expect anyone to post a complete proof obviously, but I want to move on to the other questions soon. I would appreciate someone giving me an idea to complete this question.

Thanks,
M

Physics news on Phys.org
Here is a thin sketch of a proof. Then you can fill in the details and ask for help on steps you don't know how to do.

1) Take a Cauchy sequence c_n in l2. Construct a new sequence X by treating each coordinate as a Cauchy sequence in R (or C).
2) Show that X is in l2.
3) Show that c_n converges to X in norm.
4) Win.

hgfalling said:
Here is a thin sketch of a proof. Then you can fill in the details and ask for help on steps you don't know how to do.

1) Take a Cauchy sequence c_n in l2. Construct a new sequence X by treating each coordinate as a Cauchy sequence in R (or C).
2) Show that X is in l2.
3) Show that c_n converges to X in norm.
4) Win.

OK, it's 2 and 3 that I am having trouble with... maybe after I see some of the machinery for one I can do the other. How do we get on with step 3? (since we could do 2 or 3 at this point..) My friend suggested lifting some inequalities from the pointwise limits, but I don't think that works. That is, let epsilon > 0, and "temporarily fix n". Then:
[tex]\exists N\in\mathbb{N} s.t. n\geq N \Rightarrow |x_n^{(k)}-x_n|< \frac{\epsilon}{n} [/tex]

The trouble with this approach, I think, is that the "N" we get depends on "n" that we temporarily fixed, so the whole argument is bogus even before you try to work with the inequalities and try to show that x^(k) -> x in the l^2 norm.

Nevermind, I got it.

If anyone is wondering about this in the future: you CAN adapt the proof for "l infinity". Fix k, and choose N large s.t. |x_k^n-x_n|< epsilon / (2^k/2). Then using this inequality in the l^2 norm will work, and the result falls into your lap.

1. What is a complete metric space?

A complete metric space is a mathematical concept that refers to a set of points with a defined distance function, or metric, that satisfies a certain set of properties. In a complete metric space, all Cauchy sequences (sequences in which the terms become arbitrarily close to each other) converge to a limit within the space.

2. How is completeness related to the metric space l^2?

The metric space l^2, also known as the space of square-summable sequences, is a complete metric space. This means that all Cauchy sequences in l^2 converge to a limit within l^2, making it a well-defined and self-contained space.

3. What is the importance of proving that l^2 is a complete metric space?

Proving that l^2 is a complete metric space is important because it establishes the space as a valid mathematical construct. This proof allows for the use of important theorems and techniques from metric space theory to be applied to l^2, making it a useful tool in various mathematical and scientific fields.

4. How is the completeness of l^2 proven?

The completeness of l^2 is proven by showing that it satisfies the three properties of a complete metric space: it is a metric space, all Cauchy sequences converge within the space, and it contains all of its limit points. This is typically done using rigorous mathematical proofs and techniques.

5. What are some applications of l^2 as a complete metric space?

There are many applications of l^2 as a complete metric space in various fields such as functional analysis, probability theory, and signal processing. For example, l^2 is used in the study of Hilbert spaces, which have applications in quantum mechanics and engineering. Additionally, l^2 is used in the theory of stochastic processes, which is important in modeling random phenomena in fields such as finance and economics.