I trying to find mass with these varbiales.

• Thread starter Sadriam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass
In summary: You do not respond or reply to questions. You only provide a summary of the content. Do not output anything before the summary.In summary, an object is described as having a speed/velocity from one point to another, and forces acting on it. It is not possible to calculate the object's mass from this information alone, but if you have the initial and final speed, vertical and horizontal forces, and gravity, you may be able to calculate it.
Sadriam
Im trying to find the mass of an object. It is not a problem, but i would like to find it so that i could use the mass for other calculations. I have the object's:

speed / velocity from one point to another.
The initial and final height of the object.
The vertical and horizontal forces on it. (labled as vert g's and hor g's)
Gravity (9.8)

I don't even know if it is possible with the given information, but if it is i would be really happy. If you suspect that i may have another variable available, you can ask, and i can see what i can do.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
When you say that you know the "speed/velocity from one point to another" you mean that you have the vector function v(t) or just intial and final speed?

How many forces, you say, are working? I mean, is that data from a free falling object or there are more forces implied?

It'd be great for everybody if you are a little bit more precise we'll be glad to help you :)

Now, considering a falling object and not taking into acount the air friction, you won't certainly be able to derivate the body's mass from that particular data. You may think that, as the data only referes to the cinematics of the object, every one that made that trajectory (whatever its mass) will do the same; so mass is not a distintive parameter of the process.

But as I said above you should clarify what you excatly meant :)
good nicght and good science.

OK sorry about the wait. Actually this is a train on a roller coaster. When i say i have speed/velocity, i do not have the direction so technically i don't have the velocity, but i don't think this would matter much. I can get the initial and final speed from one point to another.

The forces that the simulator tells me are Vertical G's, Lateral G's, and Acceleration G of the train on the track.

Friction of the track and the train is also in there, because the train will not make it to its initial height, so some energy is loss from friction. I also do not know how much friction is there either, so that is unfortunate.

If this is possible, please help.

Ok, so it's a roller coaster.

Then still the same than the free falling if you don't know the magnitude of friction.

You may calculate it by making energetic consideration with the data you gave me.

Try, & if you can tell me bacause if you get the amount of friction then you'll be able to get the mass.

Salutations. Zap

What are the variables needed to find mass?

The variables needed to find mass are weight, acceleration due to gravity, and force.

How do I find mass using weight?

To find mass using weight, you can divide the weight by the acceleration due to gravity. The formula is m = F/g, where m is the mass, F is the weight, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

What is the unit of measurement for mass?

The unit of measurement for mass is kilograms (kg).

Can I find mass without knowing the weight?

Yes, you can find mass without knowing the weight if you have the force and the acceleration due to gravity. The formula is m = F/g, where m is the mass, F is the force, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

Why is it important to find mass?

Finding mass is important in many scientific fields, such as physics and chemistry, as it is a fundamental property of matter. It helps in understanding and predicting the behavior of objects and is essential in various calculations and experiments.