How Do You Calculate the Initial Velocity of a Tennis Ball Thrown at an Angle?

In summary, the problem involves a tennis ball being thrown from ground level at an angle of 30 degrees above the horizontal. The question asks for the magnitude of the initial velocity, which is simply the initial speed of the ball. The ball takes 1 second to reach the top of its trajectory, and therefore its speed at that point is momentarily zero. Using the acceleration due to gravity (9.8m/s^2), we can calculate the initial velocity to be approximately 9.8m/s, taking into account the angle of 30 degrees.
Haniszmi

Homework Statement

A tennis ball is thrown from ground level with an initial velocity directed 30° above the horizontal. If it takes the ball 1 second to reach the top of its trajectory, what is the magnitude of the initial velocity?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am new to physics and the only attempt I made towards this problem is a visual drawing of the problem. I do not understand what they mean by "what is the magnitude of the initial velocity?" Can someone please explain what I have to find here

Physics news on Phys.org
"what is the magnitude of the initial velocity?"

It simply means 'What is the initial speed?'

Velocity is a vector, which means it is a magnitude (size) AND a direction (30 degrees from horiz). Speed is a scalar, which means it only has magnitude, not direction.

You simply need to worry about the initial speed, and not the initial direction.

Ok... I understand what you told me and using what you told me my first gut reaction is to say that the answer is 0. Since the ball is not moving anywhere initially. Is this valid?

Haniszmi said:
Ok... I understand what you told me and using what you told me my first gut reaction is to say that the answer is 0. Since the ball is not moving anywhere initially. Is this valid?

No.

If it takes 1 second to reach the top then how high is that?

The ball has to have SOME initial speed greater than zero because it is traveling upwards. This is in the opposite direction to the acceleration due to gravity which is pulling the ball down and reducing the speed of the ball.

The maximum height that the ball reaches is when the ball has stopped traveling up and starts to fall back down because of gravity. Therefore, at time = 1 second, the ball's speed is momentarily zero.

Ok I have a feeling that the answer is 9.8m because once the ball is thrown in the air it automatically begins to decelerates because of gravity. Since it takes an object that was dropped to travel 9.8m in one second, an object that was thrown up and airborne for only one second must of been thrown up at an initial velocity of 9.8m/s as well because deceleration is -9.8m/s.

Haniszmi said:
Ok I have a feeling that the answer is 9.8m because once the ball is thrown in the air it automatically begins to decelerates because of gravity. Since it takes an object that was dropped to travel 9.8m in one second, an object that was thrown up and airborne for only one second must of been thrown up at an initial velocity of 9.8m/s as well because deceleration is -9.8m/s.

That is correct ... except that he threw it at an angle of 30 degrees.

But the good news is you have calculated the initial y velocity. And at 30 degrees. you can know what the original velocity is by the y component being sin 30 degrees of the original velocity.

1. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a measure of how fast an object is moving in a specific direction. In other words, velocity takes into account the direction of an object's motion, while speed does not.

2. How do I calculate acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time. It can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the time it took for that change to occur. The formula for acceleration is: a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

3. What is Newton's First Law of Motion?

Newton's First Law of Motion, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object will remain at rest or in motion with constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. In other words, an object will not change its state of motion unless a force is applied to it.

4. How does mass affect an object's motion?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object. According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that the greater the mass of an object, the more force is required to accelerate it.

5. What is the difference between potential and kinetic energy?

Potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position or condition, while kinetic energy is the energy an object has due to its motion. In other words, potential energy is stored energy, while kinetic energy is the energy of motion. The total energy of an object is the sum of its potential and kinetic energy.