1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I need help with some problems

1. Mar 16, 2004 #1
    Hello, I am having a little problem understanding a problem it deals with energy. Here it is:

You tell your friend that no machine can possibly put out more energy than is put into it, and your friend states that a nuclear reactor puts out more energy than is put into it. What do you say?

Thanks in advance!
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2004 #2
    Something along the lines of "No, it doesn't. Go do a bit of research about how nuclear reactors work." and, if I'm feeling generous that day, I might give them a link to start with. Like this one.

And if I'm really feeling generous that day, I might explain it myself.

4. Mar 16, 2004 #3
    Thanks for the answer, but I guess I did not clairfy what I needed. That problem was given to me, and we were told to explain it. We just finished learning about energy. And I am having trouble answering it. So if you oculd try to explain why that I would greatly appreciate it, but if not thanks anyway.
  5. Mar 16, 2004 #4

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The answer has to do with the fact that a nuclear power plant is not a "machine." A machine is a device that manipulates an input force. A nuke plant is an "energy converter device" that takes the energy bound by uranium atoms and releases it. Compare that to a lever. Ever seen a lever go boom?
  6. Mar 16, 2004 #5
    Thank You So Much!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?