Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: I need help with some problems

1. Mar 16, 2004 #1
    Hello, I am having a little problem understanding a problem it deals with energy. Here it is:

You tell your friend that no machine can possibly put out more energy than is put into it, and your friend states that a nuclear reactor puts out more energy than is put into it. What do you say?

Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2004 #2
    Something along the lines of "No, it doesn't. Go do a bit of research about how nuclear reactors work." and, if I'm feeling generous that day, I might give them a link to start with. Like this one.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/nuclear-power.htm

And if I'm really feeling generous that day, I might explain it myself.

cookiemonster

4. Mar 16, 2004 #3
    Thanks for the answer, but I guess I did not clairfy what I needed. That problem was given to me, and we were told to explain it. We just finished learning about energy. And I am having trouble answering it. So if you oculd try to explain why that I would greatly appreciate it, but if not thanks anyway.

5. Mar 16, 2004 #4

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The answer has to do with the fact that a nuclear power plant is not a "machine." A machine is a device that manipulates an input force. A nuke plant is an "energy converter device" that takes the energy bound by uranium atoms and releases it. Compare that to a lever. Ever seen a lever go boom?

6. Mar 16, 2004 #5
    Thank You So Much!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook