1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I need help with variable forces!

1. Oct 10, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A block is acted on by a force that varies as (1.4*10^4N/m)x for 0<x<.21m , and then remains constant at 2940N for larger x. How much work does the force do on the block in moving it from x= 0 to x= 0.30m? How much work does the force do on the block in moving it from x= 0.10m to x= 0.40m?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am not understanding the question or something. Can someone help me with the equation?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2011 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Well how would you find the work done with a variable force? (hint: it has an integral in it)

Essentially, the question is telling you that for 0<x<.21 m the force is F = 1.4(104)x and for x>0.21 m, F=2940.

When you get the formula you will need to see what the force will be for the range of x=0 to x=0.4 m. Not that you can split the range as so:

x = 1 to x=4 is the same as x=1 to x=2 + x=2 to x=4.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook