I need some serious help: trig expressions, OY

In summary, the conversation was about simplifying the expression (sec^2 x csc x) / (sec^2 x + csc^2 x) and finding its most complete form. The key was simplifying the denominator using the fact that 1/a + 1/b = (a+b)/ab and rewriting everything in terms of sin and cos. The final answer was sin x.
Wholewheat458
Here is my problem:
(sec 2 x csc x) / (sec 2 x + csc 2 x)
-first i replaced the denominator with its identities.. and i got : 2+tan^2 x +cos^2 x
but the numerator.. can you just .. i really think I'm doing this
wrong.. ugh, and i cannot stand it!
Honestly, i would be truly gratful for any help ^^
:shy:

Physics news on Phys.org
Um, is there an actual identity this expression is a part of? That's not really a problem, it's just an expression. Are you being asked to transform it into a nicer form? There are many, many possibilities for different expressions that are equivalent to the one you gave.

^^ oh, I'm actually suposed to simplify the expression in the most complete form

Ok and to double check your original expression is [sec(2x)csc(x)] / [sec(2x) + csc(2x)] right?

oh,.. no, i forgot the carrots sorry, the sec,sec, and csc are all squared
(sec^2 x csc x) / (sec^2 x + csc^2 x)

Ok, first, try writing everything in terms of sin and cos (often a good technique). The key lies in simplifying the denominator since you can't do much with the numerator after writing it in terms of sin and cos.

Here's a hint for the denominator. Since we're dealing with sums of reciprocals, use the fact that 1/a + 1/b = (a+b)/ab.

Last edited:
^^ WOOT! Hahahhaha! the answer is sin x!
thank you so much!

No problem! Also, this is more trig and less calculus and you're likely to get more help in the precalculus section of the homework area anyways. That way you'll get your problem answered faster without confusing people :).

1. What are trig expressions?

Trig expressions, short for trigonometric expressions, are mathematical expressions that involve trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. These functions are used to calculate the relationship between the sides and angles of a triangle.

2. How do I simplify trig expressions?

To simplify a trig expression, you can use trigonometric identities, such as the Pythagorean identities, to rewrite the expression in a simpler form. You can also use algebraic techniques, such as factoring, to simplify the expression.

3. Can you give an example of a trig expression?

An example of a trig expression is sin(x) + cos(x). This expression represents the sum of the sine and cosine of an angle x.

4. Why do we use trig expressions?

Trig expressions are used in many fields, including physics, engineering, and navigation, to solve problems involving triangles and angles. They are also used in calculus and other advanced math courses.

5. What is the difference between an expression and an equation?

An expression is a mathematical phrase that contains numbers, variables, and operations, while an equation is a statement that shows the equality of two expressions. In other words, an equation includes an equal sign, whereas an expression does not.