Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I need to build a water filter, help?

1. Sep 21, 2008 #1
    I am trying to make my own Reverse Osmosis water filter, and I need some help. Can someone tell me where I can find parts for it so I can make it myself instead of spending $150 on it? Thank you.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2008 #2
    What brand is your system?

We have a reverse osmosis system too and we also were thinking about finding something better and cheaper. My dad just changed the filter, but there is something bad about the current filter, we live in the country and have well water, but some how there are black particles that are still flowing in it, and I'm not sure what it could be. Any suggestions??
  4. Sep 23, 2008 #3

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I seriously doubt you would be able to build your own domestic reverse-osmosis system for less than one can be bought these days. Finding the necessary semipermeable membrane material (probably company proprietary information) and putting it in a pressure housing would be a pretty difficult proposition.
  5. Oct 13, 2008 #4
    probably an activated carbon pre-filter stage. the carbon won't harm you.
  6. Feb 19, 2009 #5
  7. Feb 19, 2009 #6

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

8. Sep 13, 2009 #7
    you must check your carbon pre-filter stage.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?