I need to read about polymers

• Thread starter spectastic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polymers
In summary, The speaker wants to do research in polymers and is looking for resources to build their knowledge base before committing to a specific area. They plan to spend 2 hours a day reading and learning about the field and hope to apply for a PhD program in the fall. They have some research experience and have applied to grad school before but did not get desired offers. They are seeking advice from those in the field on how to effectively understand different subfields, challenges, and job opportunities. The speaker suggests contacting professors in their desired field for interviews and reading their recent papers. They also mention the option of focusing on the basics and applying to PhD programs at desired schools. However, the speaker also notes that there may not be much upward mobility
spectastic
I want to do research in polymers, and would like to build somewhat of a knowledge base before committing to a specific area. I'd like to spend 2 hrs/day just reading stuff and learning more about the field, and apply for Fall '15. I have some research experience from my undergrad, knows a good bit about polymers, and have applied to grad school before, but didn't get the deals I wanted, so I continued working.

I know it's late in the year to be just starting this, but better late than never.

what are some good resources to get information from? such as ACS Macro, or even high level news articles? I don't know, I'm looking for advice from people already in the field who might have a recommendation for an effective approach to getting a good understanding for the particulars of each subfield, what the challenges are, where the jobs are, etc...

thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
if you know exactly what kind of polymer system you want to study: either the polymers or properties: mechanical, electrical, chemical, or simulation, then find some professors/ p.i.s who are big in that field and contact them directly for interviews. Read all their (big or recent) papers before meeting them.

If you don't know exactly what polymer system you want to study, focus on the basics - read some polymer textbooks and apply to PhD programs at schools you want to go to.

But really, your best bet is to not go to grad school. Just don't do it. You already have a job? in engineering?

Hyo X said:
if you know exactly what kind of polymer system you want to study: either the polymers or properties: mechanical, electrical, chemical, or simulation, then find some professors/ p.i.s who are big in that field and contact them directly for interviews. Read all their (big or recent) papers before meeting them.

If you don't know exactly what polymer system you want to study, focus on the basics - read some polymer textbooks and apply to PhD programs at schools you want to go to.

But really, your best bet is to not go to grad school. Just don't do it. You already have a job? in engineering?

yes, but without a phd, I'll be limited in what I can do in terms of research. most scientists have PhD's, and those with masters and bachelors level degrees are typically the lab techs who do the grunt work. to my knowledge, there isn't much upward mobility in research without a phd

I wouldn't do a phd if research didn't demand it

1. What are polymers?

Polymers are large molecules made up of repeating units called monomers. They can be natural or synthetic and are used in a wide range of products, from plastics and rubber to DNA and proteins.

2. How are polymers formed?

Polymers are formed through a process called polymerization, where monomers are linked together to form longer chains. This can happen through a variety of methods, including addition, condensation, and ring-opening reactions.

3. What are the properties of polymers?

Polymers have a wide range of properties depending on their composition and structure. Some common properties include flexibility, durability, and resistance to chemicals and heat. They can also have different levels of transparency, color, and strength.

4. What are some common uses of polymers?

Polymers have a variety of applications in everyday life, such as in packaging materials, clothing, household products, and medical devices. They are also used in industries like construction, automotive, and aerospace for their strength and versatility.

5. What is the difference between natural and synthetic polymers?

Natural polymers are found in nature and can be extracted from plants or animals, such as cellulose from trees or proteins from milk. Synthetic polymers, on the other hand, are man-made and are created through chemical reactions in a laboratory. They are designed to mimic the properties of natural polymers or create new properties.