I really can't understand uncertainty

In summary, the speaker is asking for clarification on the concept of uncertainty and why it works the way it does. They provide an example and express confusion about why their post was moved. They also question who will ask questions if all posts are deemed "naive" and moved.
Shing
I really can't understand "uncertainty"

Hi guys,
I really can't understand "uncertainty"...
How it works, and Why it works
I don't understand..
Like why:
4+/-0.5 x 5.2+/- 0.2
=4x5.2 +/- 0.5 x 0.2?

Would anyone be kind enough to elaborate a bit for me?
Thanks for reading

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Shing said:
Hi guys,
I really can't understand "uncertainty"...
How it works, and Why it works
I don't understand..
Like why:
4+/-0.5 x 5.2+/- 0.2
=4x5.2 +/- 0.5 x 0.2?

Would anyone be kind enough to elaborate a bit for me?
Thanks for reading

Why moved it here?
It is not homework, not coursework either That was just an example...
If any naive post will be moved, then who will ask questions here?

Hello,

I can understand your confusion about uncertainty. It is a concept that can be difficult to grasp, but it is an essential part of scientific research and analysis.

Uncertainty refers to the lack of knowledge or precision about a certain value or measurement. In your example, the uncertainties of 0.5 and 0.2 represent the possible range of error in the values of 4 and 5.2, respectively.

When we perform calculations with uncertain values, we have to take into account the uncertainties as well. This is why the result of your calculation is expressed as 4x5.2 +/- 0.5 x 0.2. The +/- symbol indicates that the result can vary within a certain range due to the uncertainties in the initial values.

Uncertainty is an important consideration in science because it allows us to understand the limitations of our measurements and results. It also helps us to communicate our findings accurately, by including the uncertainties in our data.

I hope this helps to clarify the concept of uncertainty for you. If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask. Thank you for your interest in science.

What is uncertainty?

Uncertainty is the lack of certainty or knowledge about something. It refers to a situation where the outcome or result of an event or decision is unknown or unpredictable.

Why is uncertainty important in science?

Uncertainty is important in science because it helps us understand the limits of our knowledge and the potential for error in our measurements and experiments. It also allows us to account for variations and uncertainties in our data when making conclusions and predictions.

How is uncertainty measured and expressed?

In science, uncertainty is measured and expressed using a variety of statistical tools and methods. These can include standard deviation, margin of error, and confidence intervals. It is important to use the appropriate method for the type of data and level of uncertainty being measured.

How can uncertainty be reduced or minimized?

Uncertainty can be reduced or minimized by improving the quality and accuracy of measurements and experiments. This can be achieved through careful planning, precise equipment, and thorough data analysis. It is also important to acknowledge and account for any potential sources of error.

What are the different types of uncertainty?

There are several types of uncertainty, including random uncertainty, systematic uncertainty, and model uncertainty. Random uncertainty refers to the inherent variability in data, while systematic uncertainty is caused by consistent errors in measurement or experimental design. Model uncertainty is related to the limitations and assumptions of a particular model or theory.