I really have trouble with solving this, me

• Thread starter desparate
  • Start date
In summary: Yes, choose a point A at an angle θ from the middle, and a point B very close to A, at an angle θ + dθ, where dθ is very small. Then the charge of the section AB will be (dθ/π)Q,and since dθ is so small, we can assume that it is a point charge … that is, that the whole of AB is at the same distance (AP) from P. So the field will be of strength (dθ/π)Q/(AP)2, along the direction of AP. Carry on from there.
desparate
http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/1559/45954311.png

Positive electric charge Q, total, are distributed uniformly on a semicircle
with radius a. What is the electric field (in moderation and direction) in the center
curvature (ie, point P)?

please help me, its the last i have to solve in order to finish my assignment, I am really desperate

Ps: I am from egypt, sorry for my english :(

ps1: this is from the book "university physics by D. Young"

thanks everyone in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi desparate! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(btw, it's modulus! :wink:)

Find the field at P due to the charge between θ and θ + dθ, and integrate over -π/2 ≤ θ ≤ π/2. :smile:

Last edited:

tiny-tim said:
Hi desparate! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(btw, it's modulus! :wink:)

Find the field at P due to the charge between θ and θ + dθ, and integrate over -π/2 ≤ θ ≤ π/2. :smile:

can you tell me what the direction of the electric field is in P?

desparate said:
can you tell me what the direction of the electric field is in P?

Hi desparate! :smile:

I've just noticed that the diagram doesn't match your question …

you asked for the field at the centre of curvature, which is O, not P. :confused:

The field at O seems a far more likely question (and symmetry will give you the direction there). :wink:

Before we go any further, can you please check which point is intended? :smile:

doesnt it say P? (ie, P)?

so i think it has to be P

Well, I'm highly doubtful.

(btw, is the book by Hugh D. Young?)

ok … then the field at P due to the charge between θ and θ + dθ will be in the direction of the chord from the point at θ to P.

You'll need to split it into x and y components before integrating. :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Well, I'm highly doubtful.

(btw, is the book by Hugh D. Young?)

ok … then the field at P due to the charge between θ and θ + dθ will be in the direction of the chord from the point at θ to P.

You'll need to split it into x and y components before integrating. :smile:

yes its from this book, i really don't know why we are doing this kind of physics I am not studying physics or something like that

can you please draw something? i m not good at english, and i can't really understand what you mean by saying "the field at P due to the charge between θ and θ + dθ will be in the direction of the chord from the point at θ to P."

thanks for your help

desparate said:
can you please draw something? i m not good at english, and i can't really understand what you mean by saying "the field at P due to the charge between θ and θ + dθ will be in the direction of the chord from the point at θ to P."

Yes, choose a point A at an angle θ from the middle, and a point B very close to A, at an angle θ + dθ, where dθ is very small.

Then the charge of the section AB will be (dθ/π)Q,

and since dθ is so small, we can assume that it is a point charge … that is, that the whole of AB is at the same distance (AP) from P.

So the field will be of strength (dθ/π)Q/(AP)2, along the direction of AP.

Carry on from there. :smile:

1. How can I improve my problem-solving skills?

Improving problem-solving skills takes practice and patience. One way to improve is to break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts. Another method is to try different approaches and strategies until you find one that works. Additionally, seeking guidance and advice from others, such as a mentor or teacher, can also be helpful in developing problem-solving skills.

2. Why do I struggle with solving certain problems?

There could be several reasons why you struggle with solving certain problems. It could be due to a lack of understanding of the concepts involved or not having enough practice with similar problems. It could also be because the problem is too complex and requires more advanced problem-solving skills. Identifying the specific reason can help you find ways to improve and overcome the difficulty.

3. How can I stay motivated when facing a difficult problem?

Staying motivated can be challenging when facing a difficult problem. One way to stay motivated is to remind yourself of the benefits of solving the problem, such as gaining new knowledge or improving your skills. Additionally, taking breaks and coming back to the problem with a fresh perspective can also help. Seeking support from friends or colleagues can also provide motivation and encouragement.

4. What are some effective problem-solving strategies?

There are various problem-solving strategies that can be effective, depending on the nature of the problem. Some common strategies include brainstorming, breaking the problem into smaller parts, and using visual aids, such as diagrams or charts. Other approaches include trial and error, working backward, and seeking advice from others. Experimenting with different strategies can help you find the most effective one for a particular problem.

5. How can I apply problem-solving skills in my daily life?

Problem-solving skills are essential in various aspects of life, such as at work, in personal relationships, and in decision-making. One way to apply problem-solving skills in daily life is to practice them regularly, even with small, everyday problems. For example, when faced with a challenge, try to break it down into smaller parts and come up with potential solutions. Additionally, seeking feedback and reflecting on the outcomes can help improve problem-solving skills for future situations.