I really need a good linear algebra book

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a suitable textbook for a first linear algebra course. The student is currently covering operations and is looking for a book that includes these concepts. The expert suggests Elementary Linear Algebra by Stanley I. Grossman and the textbook recommended by the MIT OpenCourseware program.
phospho
Here is the syllabus for my first linear algebra course: http://gyazo.com/002e551e368990efb32b916dac40c2df

Right now, we are going through stuff like operations such as curley E(i,j;lambda) curley D(i,lambda) etc and I don't know where to find extra work on these, so I really need a book going through this. Preferably a pure based one with some routine computational questions also

I have tried lang's linear algebra but it did not include these operations.

Physics news on Phys.org
I doubt you will find a single text that covers all of that. It seems to be about half "theory of proof" and "set theory" then the other half linear algebra.

HallsofIvy said:
I doubt you will find a single text that covers all of that. It seems to be about half "theory of proof" and "set theory" then the other half linear algebra.

Could you recommend one for the linear algebra part only please?

Doesn't the course include a book recommendation?

Where will the problem sets come from? If you buy one book, but the problem sets come from another, you will end up spending more money than you have to.

My first Linear Algebra textbook was "Elementary Linear Algebra" by Stanley I. Grossman.
(I was in an engineering program.)

I thought it was very good. For somebody who was brand-new to the field of Linear Algebra, I thought it did a good job of introducing and explaining concepts.

Also, in another thread in these forums, I recommended the textbook that goes along with the MIT OpenCourseware course:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=4509747#post4509747

I mean, if it is good enough for MIT students, it should be a pretty good book.

As a fellow scientist, I understand the importance of having a good textbook for a course. Based on the syllabus you provided, it seems like your course is focusing on the fundamental operations of linear algebra, such as E(i,j;lambda) and D(i,lambda). These are important concepts to understand and it is great that you are looking for additional resources to supplement your learning.

I would recommend checking out "Linear Algebra: A Modern Introduction" by David Poole. This book covers all the basic operations of linear algebra and also includes computational exercises throughout the chapters. It is a pure based book, but also includes applications and real-world examples to help solidify your understanding.

Another book that might be helpful is "Linear Algebra Done Right" by Sheldon Axler. This book is a bit more abstract and theoretical, but it covers all the essential topics in linear algebra and includes many exercises to practice on.

I would also suggest checking out online resources such as Khan Academy or MIT OpenCourseWare for additional practice problems and video lectures. These resources can be a great supplement to your textbook.

Overall, it is important to find a book that aligns with your learning style and covers the topics that are being taught in your course. I hope these recommendations help and good luck with your linear algebra studies!

What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations, vector spaces, and matrices. It studies the properties of these mathematical objects and how they can be used to solve problems in various fields like physics, engineering, and computer science.

Why do I need a good linear algebra book?

Linear algebra is an essential tool for many scientific and technical fields. It provides a foundation for understanding more complex mathematical concepts and is used in various applications such as data analysis, computer graphics, and machine learning. A good linear algebra book can help you develop a solid understanding of the subject and its applications.

What makes a good linear algebra book?

A good linear algebra book should have clear explanations, relevant examples, and a variety of practice problems. It should also cover a range of topics from basic concepts to more advanced techniques, and provide connections to real-world applications. Additionally, it should be written in a style that is easy to understand and engage with.

Can I learn linear algebra without a book?

While it is possible to learn linear algebra without a book, having a structured and comprehensive resource can greatly aid in understanding the subject. A book allows you to work through concepts at your own pace and provides a reference for review. However, there are also online resources and video lectures available that can supplement or replace a traditional textbook.

What are some recommended linear algebra books?

Some popular linear algebra books include "Linear Algebra Done Right" by Sheldon Axler, "Linear Algebra" by Gilbert Strang, and "Introduction to Linear Algebra" by Serge Lang. It is recommended to read reviews and compare different books to find one that best suits your learning style and goals.