I received 5 viruses today by email

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Email
In summary, Warren has never seen so much activity - five viruses came in as attachments, two of which appeared as returned email. Watch out, Warren has got 44!
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Just FYI. I have never seen so much activity - 5 viruses came in as attachments...two of which appeared as returned email. Watch out…

Physics news on Phys.org
I got 44. Sit down, you suck!

- Warren

Originally posted by chroot
I got 44. Sit down, you suck!

WOW!

You are the virus king! So just how do you attract so much attention?

Where have you been Chroot? :wink: :wink: :wink:

I'm on a lot of listservs.

- Warren

I would say so! I usually only see about 5 or 10 a year. I did have a real hacker problem for a while; but only one...that I know of. Apparently my firewall kept him/her in check as well.

I must have had 20 infected messages on my work email.

Didn't see any on my home account.
... Hummm, perhaps should warn my wife!

clean as a whistle...i think. Not so sure about the home pc though, that's pretty dodgy.

When Melissa, the original mass-emailer, first went around a few years ago, a buddy of mine working for Unisys got several thousand before the company email server crashed.

Never got one. I get about 200 emails a month. The lists I'm on are all very security conscious though. People here who spread virusses get sat down for "a little talk".

Njorl

I'm gaining respectability; got about 10 more so far today. This thing would seem to be far more pervasive than most.

If you get a worm called MyDoom, install it. The orignal attacks www.sco.com.[/url] The second variant attacks [url]http://www.microsoft.com[/URL]

I feel so lonely on my Linux machine. Why don't I ever get any viruses

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by dduardo
If you get a worm called MyDoom, install it. The orignal attacks www.sco.com.[/url] The second variant attacks [url]http://www.microsoft.com[/URL]
[/B][/QUOTE]

We wouldn't really want any worm attacking SCO, no matter how Evil and piece of crap they are. It would just make things worse especially for the Open Source community. Two wrongs don't make a right.

But anyway, with their so-called impending lawsuits to IBM and Google, and their company value going down to 5 million (?)I find it a bit surprising that they would still put up bounty for the worm creators.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How did I receive 5 viruses by email?

There are a few possible ways you could have received viruses through email. One possibility is that you opened an attachment from an unknown sender, which contained the viruses. Another possibility is that you clicked on a link in the email that took you to a malicious website. It is also possible that your email account has been hacked and the viruses were sent from your own account without your knowledge.

2. Can I get viruses just by opening an email?

In most cases, simply opening an email will not automatically infect your computer with viruses. However, if the email contains an attachment or a link to a malicious website, then clicking on these could potentially allow the viruses to infect your computer. It is always important to exercise caution when opening emails from unknown senders.

3. How can I prevent getting viruses through email?

To prevent getting viruses through email, it is important to never open attachments or click on links from unknown senders. You should also ensure that your email account has strong security measures, such as a strong password and two-factor authentication. It is also helpful to have antivirus software installed on your computer.

4. What should I do if I receive a suspicious email with viruses?

If you receive a suspicious email with viruses, do not open any attachments or click on any links in the email. Instead, delete the email immediately and empty your trash bin. If you accidentally opened an attachment or clicked on a link, run a full virus scan on your computer and change your email account password as a precaution.

5. Can I recover my computer after receiving viruses through email?

In most cases, it is possible to recover your computer after receiving viruses through email. However, it may require the help of a professional or specialized software to remove the viruses completely. It is important to act quickly and properly to minimize the damage caused by the viruses and prevent future infections.