I remember some recent year events earlier than it is now written

  • Thread starter Thread starter olgerm
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Events Year

When do you remember having first read about these events?

  • 2020

    Votes: 1 100.0%
  • 2019

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2018

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2017

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2016

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • earlier than 2016

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2021

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2022

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    1
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
1 reply · 2K views
olgerm
Gold Member
Messages
551
Reaction score
43
Oddly I remember having read about these events before (beginning of) year 2020.

murder of George Floyd: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_George_Floyd
Kenosha unrest shooting: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenosha_unrest_shooting
Capitol Hill Occupied Protest: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capitol_Hill_Occupied_Protest

I do not want to argue about these events or politics related to these. I am posting about these because it just seems so weird, that I surely remember having read about these events earlier than these are now said(in every source that I read) to have happened. Any ideas why I might remember time of these so wrongly if these really occurred in 2020? When do you remember having heard/read about these for first time?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It may be that in listening to the news reports of these events, you heard about prior incidents and their dates got attached to this incident.

A curious feature of memory is that when you recall something the brain reads it and rewrites it. It’s possible in those moments to rewrite it slightly different creating a false memory. This has been used to help people overcome fears but interrupting the rewrite during a recall and implanting an altered memory.