I remember some recent year events earlier than it is now written

In summary, the conversation discusses the events of the murder of George Floyd, Kenosha unrest shooting, and Capitol Hill Occupied Protest, which all occurred in the year 2020. The individual posting about these events questions why they remember hearing about them before they actually occurred and wonders if false memories could have been created. They also mention the possibility of news reports of prior incidents influencing their memory.

When do you remember having first read about these events?

Votes: 1 100.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• earlier than 2016

• Total voters
olgerm
Gold Member
Oddly I remember having read about these events before (beginning of) year 2020.

murder of George Floyd: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_George_Floyd
Kenosha unrest shooting: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenosha_unrest_shooting
Capitol Hill Occupied Protest: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capitol_Hill_Occupied_Protest

I do not want to argue about these events or politics related to these. I am posting about these because it just seems so weird, that I surely remember having read about these events earlier than these are now said(in every source that I read) to have happened. Any ideas why I might remember time of these so wrongly if these really occured in 2020? When do you remember having heard/read about these for first time?

Physics news on Phys.org
It may be that in listening to the news reports of these events, you heard about prior incidents and their dates got attached to this incident.

A curious feature of memory is that when you recall something the brain reads it and rewrites it. It’s possible in those moments to rewrite it slightly different creating a false memory. This has been used to help people overcome fears but interrupting the rewrite during a recall and implanting an altered memory.

1. What is the phenomenon of remembering recent events earlier than they are recorded?

The phenomenon of remembering recent events earlier than they are recorded is known as false memories. It is a common occurrence where individuals recall events that did not actually happen or remember them differently than they actually occurred.

2. What causes false memories?

There are several factors that can contribute to the formation of false memories. These include suggestion, misinformation, imagination, and the misattribution of memories. In some cases, false memories can also be a result of neurological conditions or trauma.

3. How do false memories affect our daily lives?

False memories can have a significant impact on our daily lives. They can lead to confusion, misunderstandings, and even false accusations. In some cases, individuals may make important decisions based on false memories, which can have serious consequences.

4. Can we prevent false memories from occurring?

While we cannot completely prevent false memories from occurring, there are some strategies that can help reduce their likelihood. These include avoiding suggestive language, seeking out multiple sources of information, and being aware of our own biases and tendencies to remember events a certain way.

5. How can we distinguish between true and false memories?

Distinguishing between true and false memories can be challenging, as false memories can feel just as real as true memories. However, there are some techniques that can help, such as seeking out corroborating evidence, considering the source of the memory, and seeking professional help if needed.