Who did I see at the bus stop today?

• Thread starter madness
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Higgs
In summary: In summary, the conversation discusses the Higgs boson and its interaction with the bus, the possibility of the Higgs giving mass to the bus, and the likelihood of winning a Nobel Prize for discovering the Higgs. The conversation also mentions other related prizes and the ongoing search for the Higgs particle.
madness
He was standing at a bus stop...

Physics news on Phys.org
Does that mean the bus has no mass until he gets on?

I think it rather means an interaction term between the Higgs and the bus is not forbidden by gauge invariance. If the Higgs would give rise to the bus' mass, it would be questionable whether we still call it a "bus" before Higgs is on board.

madness said:

let us know when you see his boson

And you didn't even tell him about PF?

Did he looked depressed because his Nobel Prize gets postponed so often?

Count Iblis said:

i don't think he's got much of a chance unless is particle is finally observed. nobel prizes are for discoveries that have practical value, which is probably why hawking hasn't won one either.

madness said:

Did he have a shopping cart?

madness said:

And what was the Higgs' bus on? :biggrin:

Count Iblis said:

He won't get it. The Abrikosov, Leggett and Ginzberg prize covers the same material, albeit in a different application. The Yoichiro Nambu prize covers what's left.

fourier jr said:
i don't think he's got much of a chance unless is particle is finally observed. nobel prizes are for discoveries that have practical value, which is probably why hawking hasn't won one either.

Yes, that's what I mean. That discovery is postponed over and over again:

http://www.hep.net/ssc/

http://lhc.web.cern.ch/lhc/

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Who did I see at the bus stop today?

The answer to this question would depend on who you actually saw at the bus stop. If you are unable to recall or identify the person, there is no definitive answer.

2. Can I use any scientific methods to determine who I saw at the bus stop today?

No, scientific methods are not applicable in this situation as they require empirical evidence and data. Identifying a person at the bus stop is more of a memory or visual recognition task.

3. How can I improve my memory to better remember who I saw at the bus stop today?

There are various memory techniques that can help improve your ability to remember faces and people. Some examples include visualization, association, and repetition. Additionally, maintaining a healthy lifestyle and reducing stress can also contribute to better memory retention.

4. Is there any scientific research on the accuracy of eyewitness identification?

Yes, there has been a significant amount of research on eyewitness identification and its accuracy. This research has shown that human memory is fallible and can be influenced by various factors, such as stress, biases, and leading questions.

5. Is it possible for me to have mistaken the person I saw at the bus stop today?

Yes, it is possible for you to have mistaken the person you saw at the bus stop. As mentioned before, human memory can be influenced by various factors, and it is not always 100% accurate. It is also common for people to have difficulty remembering unfamiliar faces, which could lead to a mistaken identity.