I tried to build a flyback converter

In Summary,A flyback converter can provide up to 3.5 amps of output to a load, but it is possible to overload the batteries if the circuit is not carefully designed.
David lopez
i tried connecting flyback converter to, i think it was 3 18650 lithium ion cells, and using a, i think it was a 3.5 ohm resistor. i got a reading of 3.5 amps
then i got a decreasing reading. then one of the 18650 lithium ion cells overloaded. it is now damaged. is there any way to pass 3.5 amps through flyback converter, without overloading the 18650 lithium ion cells? this a schematic of the circuit i used.
Drawing.jpeg

• Skeptical
Likes davenn
Engineering news on Phys.org
Not certain, but I think you might be missing some parts, here is a basic flyback schematic:

1580143083252.png

Likes davenn
i forgot to include the diode in the schematic. sorry. i didn't include a capacitor. if i use nonrechargeable batteries, can i pass 3.5 amps through the flyback converter without overloading the batteries?

You also don't have a switch, which is basically the most critical part, or a means of creating PWM. Based on your schematic you are connecting a transformer to a DC supply through a resistor. Transformers only work with AC.

Your question of "can i pass 3.5 amps through the flyback converter without overloading the batteries " depends entirely on the batteries.

if i use c cells, can i pass 3.5 amps through the circuit, without overloading the batteries?

The way I would approach that question is to look up the data sheet for the proposed battery, determine its maximum discharge rate and total capacity (Whr or Ahr) and use that information to calculate how long the batteries would last with my load. Then you can decide if they are appropriate.

what if i connect the batteries in parallel, then can i pass 3.5 amps through the circuit, without overloading the batteries?

What is the maximum discharge rate and capacity of the batteries?

i connect 18650 lithium ion cells in parallel, so discharge rate is c.

2.998e8 m/s?!

i don't understand the response. sorry.

David lopez said:
i connect 18650 lithium ion cells in parallel, so discharge rate is c.

Is that sentence correct? That’s more than 2.5x the number of cells in a Tesla Model S, which is not your everyday pack. And I doubt they’re all in parallel...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_Model_S#Battery

David lopez said:
i don't understand the response. sorry.
C is not a number like a constant, c depends on the battery, you need to go and get a number from a data sheet, that number will be like 12.34Whr or 23.45Ahr. C, the constant, is the speed of light, 2.998e8m/s.

What is your electronics knowledge? Like what else have you built?

Based on your answers so far you don't seem to understand enough about batteries to be able to specify one for a project, that's probably a good place start before trying to build a functioning flyback converter.

Sorry, capacity will be a number like 12.34Whr or 23.45Ahr, c would be in Amps, or as a multiplier to get amps.

18650 is a battery size, like AA or AAA.

what if i connect the batteries in parallel, and the maximum discharge rate of each is say 2.4 amps, can i pass 3.5 amps through the circuit, without overloading the batteries?

The C rating of the battery is a measure of its maximum discharge rate capability. A battery rated C=1 can discharge its entire capacity in 1 hr. A battery rated C=60 can discharge its entire capacity in one minute. It is a parameter characterizing all various sizes of similarly constructed batteries. FYI

David lopez said:
what if i connect the batteries in parallel, and the maximum discharge rate of each is say 2.4 amps, can i pass 3.5 amps through the circuit, without overloading the batteries?
It helps to look up the real number rather than just ask questions. I searched "18650 specifications" and quickly found the following.

Specifications:
  • Model: INR18650HG2
  • Capacity: 3000mAh
  • Released: 2014
  • Product Classification: Cylindrical rechargeable lithium ion battery
  • Intended use (application): Power Tools
  • Max. Constant Current 20 A (20000 mA)
  • Cycle Life @ 10A: 300 cycles at 10 A
  • Cycle Life @ 20A: 200 cycles at 20 A
  • Initial AC impedance: less (or equal) than 20 mΩ
  • Dimensions: Diameter Max 18.5mm, Height Max 65.2mm
  • Weight: Max 47g
  • Operating temperature (battery cell surface temp.): -20 ~ 75 ℃
  • Lower limit (cutoff) discharge voltage under load: 2.5V

And yes, you can connect them in parallel to provide twice as much current. But there are caveats. The batteries in parallel much be closely matched.

so if i connect them in parallel i can get twice as much current, without overloading the batteries?

According to the Data Sheet posted by @anorlunda and your statement of measuring 3.5A, you did NOT overload the batteries, the batteries are rated at 20A.

David lopez said:
i tried connecting flyback converter to, i think it was 3 18650 lithium ion cells, and using a, i think it was a 3.5 ohm resistor. i got a reading of 3.5 amps
then i got a decreasing reading. then one of the 18650 lithium ion cells overloaded. it is now damaged. is there any way to pass 3.5 amps through flyback converter, without overloading the 18650 lithium ion cells? this a schematic of the circuit i used.

I think, if necessary, there are theoretically two ways to get more than rated current of single battery from multiple batteries.

1. Batteries in parallel plus prevention measure for circulating current flow between them, as well as other protections, such as each battery has its own over-current protection...

2. Batteries in series plus stepping down converter to generate more current...

Since you already have a flyback converter installed in your circuit, you may consider the second method and include the function in the flyback converter.

I don't like using batteries in parallel because I personally think that this is not a good approach, especially for DIY projects.

Besides, please pay attention to battery and circuit safety issues. You may reference the relevant instructions, standards and regulations for more information.

Last edited:
so you are suggesting i use a stepping down converter?

David lopez said:
so you are suggesting i use a stepping down converter?

I am discussing the feasibility of one of these options. In theory, a DC-DC flyback converter with regulated output voltage can boost or step down a variety of input voltages

If there is no specific reason to fix the input voltage, as long as the input voltage of the flyback converter is still within the rated range, it should be possible to connect more batteries in series to the input and then reduce the input current. Note that I = P / V. For the same power, a higher voltage indicates a lower current.

So I'm talking about integrating the input current reduction function into the existing flyback converter, not necessary to change it to step-down converter, nor adding another step-down converter.

Last edited:
but i am trying to pass a higher current through the circuit, not a lower one.

• Skeptical
Likes davenn
David lopez said:
but i am trying to pass a higher current through the circuit, not a lower one.
Forget about high current, get a working circuit sorted out first
You haven't even listened to what you were told in post # 4

may i ask if you are an engineer?

The original question has been adequately answered. Before things get too hot, I am closing this thread.

• Love
Likes davenn

What is a flyback converter?

A flyback converter is a type of switching power supply that converts a DC input voltage into a higher or lower DC output voltage. It uses a transformer to store energy during the switching cycle and then release it to the output during the off cycle.

What is the purpose of building a flyback converter?

The purpose of building a flyback converter is to efficiently convert one DC voltage level to another. It is commonly used in electronic devices such as TVs, computer monitors, and power adapters to provide the necessary power for their operation.

What are the main components of a flyback converter?

The main components of a flyback converter include a transformer, a switching element (such as a MOSFET), a diode, and a control circuit (such as a pulse width modulation controller). Additional components may also be included for protection and filtering purposes.

What are the advantages of using a flyback converter?

One of the main advantages of using a flyback converter is its simplicity and cost-effectiveness. It also has a high efficiency, especially at low power levels. Additionally, it can provide isolation between the input and output circuits, making it suitable for use in high voltage applications.

What are some common challenges when building a flyback converter?

Some common challenges when building a flyback converter include managing high voltage spikes, minimizing electromagnetic interference (EMI), and designing a proper feedback control loop. It is also important to carefully select and size the components to ensure proper operation and efficiency of the converter.