I understanding conceptual question for particle tracks in a chamber

In summary, the figure shows bubble-chamber tracks resulting from an event at point A. A gamma ray spontaneously transforms into two charged particles, producing two spiral tracks moving away from point A. A third charged particle is knocked out of a hydrogen atom and produces a long track with slight upward curvature. All particles have the same mass and charge. Using the right-hand rule, it can be determined that the charge on particles 1 and 3 is positive, while the charge on particle 2 is negative. This is why the correct answer is B.
Lopez

Homework Statement

Figure 21.13a shows the bubble-chamber tracks resulting from an event that begins at point A.
At this point a gamma ray (emitted by certain radioactive substances), traveling in from the left,
spontaneously transforms into two charged particles. There is no track from the gamma ray
itself. These particles move away from point A, producing the two spiral tracks. A third charged
particle is knocked out of a hydrogen atom and moves forward, producing the long track with
the slight upward curvature. Each of the three particles has the same mass and carries a charge
of the same magnitude. A uniform magnetic field is directed out of the paper toward you. What
is the sign ( +or - ) of the charge carried by each particle?
charge.PNG

According to the book the answer is B but i don't understand why,and how to apply the hand rule

Homework Equations

no equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i know i have to use the first right hand rule,and i know the thumb represents the velocity,the rest of the fingers the magnetic field and the force is perpendicular to the palm

Attachments

• upload_2014-10-11_17-29-2.png
    upload_2014-10-11_17-29-2.png
    4.8 KB · Views: 601
Physics news on Phys.org
Lopez said:

Homework Statement

Figure 21.13a shows the bubble-chamber tracks resulting from an event that begins at point A.
At this point a gamma ray (emitted by certain radioactive substances), traveling in from the left,
spontaneously transforms into two charged particles. There is no track from the gamma ray
itself. These particles move away from point A, producing the two spiral tracks. A third charged
particle is knocked out of a hydrogen atom and moves forward, producing the long track with
the slight upward curvature. Each of the three particles has the same mass and carries a charge
of the same magnitude. A uniform magnetic field is directed out of the paper toward you. What
is the sign ( +or - ) of the charge carried by each particle?
View attachment 74311
According to the book the answer is B but i don't understand why,and how to apply the hand rule

Homework Equations

no equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i know i have to use the first right hand rule,and i know the thumb represents the velocity,the rest of the fingers the magnetic field and the force is perpendicular to the palm
The spirals for particles 1 and 3 are both counterclockwise, while the spiral for particle 2 is clockwise. These facts suggest that the charges are particles 1 and 3 would have the same sign, and the charge on particle 2 would have the opposite sign. This rules out choices a and c.

What does the right-hand rule say about things? That would help you figure out why b is the correct answer and d is not.

Likes Lopez
putting it that way makes sense now thanks,but i still don't understand how we can use the hand rule to get to that answer,couldn't we have determined that b was the answer with just that reasoning that particle 2 is the only one going clockwise so that is why is negative

I don't think the right-hand rule involves "velocity" specifically.

Remember, an electron traveling thataway equates to a current heading thisaway. ;)

Last edited:
Do you know the expression of he Lorentz force, the force exerted by a magnetic field on a moving particle (F=q vxB)?
You know the direction of the initial velocity of all particles. The magnetic field is perpendicular to the paper and directed toward you. What is the direction of the force if the particle is positive, and what is the direction if the particle is negative?

thanks guys it makes total sense now

What is a particle track in a chamber?

A particle track in a chamber is a visible path left behind by a subatomic particle as it moves through a detector. This path is created by the interaction of the particle with the material in the chamber, and it can provide valuable information about the particle's properties and behavior.

What types of chambers are used to detect particle tracks?

There are several types of chambers used to detect particle tracks, including bubble chambers, cloud chambers, and drift chambers. These chambers use different techniques to visualize and track the particles passing through them.

How can particle tracks be used in scientific research?

Particle tracks can provide important information about the fundamental properties of particles and their interactions. By analyzing the characteristics of particle tracks, scientists can gain insight into the behavior of subatomic particles and the laws of nature that govern them.

What factors can affect the appearance of a particle track in a chamber?

The appearance of a particle track can be influenced by various factors, including the type of particle, its energy, and the material and conditions within the chamber. The presence of magnetic fields can also affect the trajectory of the particle and alter the appearance of the track.

How are particle tracks analyzed and interpreted by scientists?

Particle tracks are analyzed and interpreted through a combination of visual observation and data analysis. Scientists use specialized software and algorithms to reconstruct the path of the particle and extract information about its properties and interactions from the track.