Solving Fourth Degree Equation: Get Answers Now

• Thread starter mathfriends
  • Start date
In summary, this person found a solution to a fourth degree equation. They explained that the simplest way to approach the problem is to use the "rational root theorem". They also mentioned that if the equation has rational roots, then x= -1 and x= 1/3 are the only possible solutions. Lastly, the person asked for help with solving the equation.
mathfriends
[URL]http://www13.0zz0.com/2011/07/15/22/754178270.jpg[/URL]

I Need help solving this fourth degree equation

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
"I want answers" is not how you're going to get results. Read the rules of the forums.

I want answers
Me, too.

lol comic sans

thank you

Finally :smile: I found a solution

301263258.jpg

Hmm.
I understand the solution x=-1.
But how did you get the other solutions from [itex]9x^3-4x+1=0[/itex]? :confused:

The simplest way to approach this problem is to use the "rational root theorem".

If r is a rational number satisfying [itex]a_nx^n+ a_{n-1}x^{n-1}+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ a_1x+ a_0= 0[/itex] where the coefficients are all integers, then r= p/q where p is an integer evenly dividing [itex]a_0[/itex] and q is an integer evenly dividing [itex]a_n[/itex].

Of course, it is not necessary than such an equation have any rational roots but it is worth trying. Here, the leading coefficient, [itex]a_n[/itex], is 9, which has factors [itex]\pm 1, \pm 3, \pm 9[/itex] and the constant term, [itex]a_0[/itex] is 1, which has factors [itex]\pm 1[/itex] so the only possible rational roots are [itex]\pm 1, \pm 1/3, \pm 1/9[/itex].

Putting those into the equation, we see that if
[tex]9(1)^4+ 9(1)^3- 4(1)^2- 3(1)+ 1= 19- 7= 12\ne 0[/tex]
[tex]9(-1)^4+ 9(-1)^3- 4(-1)^2- 3(-1)+ 1= -9+ 9- 4+ 3+ 1= -1+1= 0[/tex]
[tex]9(1/3)^4+ 9(1/3)^3- 4(1/3)^2- 3(1/3)+ 1= 1/9+ 1/3- 4/9- 1+ 1= 1/3- 1/3- 1+ 1= 0[/tex]
We can stop here. Seeing that x= -1 and x= 1/3 are roots, we can divide by x+ 1 and x- 1/3 (not "0.3333") to get a quadratic equation that we can solve using the quadratic formula.

(There is a "quartic formula", http://www.sosmath.com/algebra/factor/fac12/fac12.html, but it is extermely complicated.)

HallsofIvy said:
The simplest way to approach this problem is to use the "rational root theorem".

Nice! I didn't know this one yet! :smile:

this is another solution

648322002.jpg

Is this true ?

Moderator's note: thread moved from "General Math".

Please help us moderate the forum by reporting misplaced homework posts.

Thank you.

mathfriends said:
this is another solution

648322002.jpg

Is this true ?
Why don't you tell us? Are those answers the same as the ones you already know:
mathfriends said:
thank you

Finally :smile: I found a solution

301263258.jpg

Redbelly98 said:
Why don't you tell us? Are those answers the same as the ones you already know:

yeah,I just want clarification

mathfriends said:
this is another solution

Is this true ?

What do you think?
Can you think of a way to derive this solution?

Btw, are you familiar with solving a quadratic equation?
That is, an equation of the form ax2 + bx + c = 0.

I like Serena said:
What do you think?
Can you think of a way to derive this solution?

Btw, are you familiar with solving a quadratic equation?
That is, an equation of the form ax2 + bx + c = 0.

Yes, do you mean you want the law of quadratic equation

What I would like is for you to give us some insight into what you are thinking.
That would make it easier for us to help you.

As it is we have no clue how you got this problem or why you want to solve it.
I'm assuming you're supposed to learn how to solve such equations.
At least that's what we're trying to help you with.

How did you get this problem?
And what is your purpose with it?

thank you ( i like serena ) for help me .

HallsofIvy said:

If r is a rational number satisfying [itex]a_nx^n+ a_{n-1}x^{n-1}+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ a_1x+ a_0= 0[/itex] where the coefficients are all integers, then r= p/q where p is an integer evenly dividing [itex]a_0[/itex] and q is an integer evenly dividing [itex]a_n[/itex].

Of course, it is not necessary than such an equation have any rational roots but it is worth trying. Here, the leading coefficient, [itex]a_n[/itex], is 9, which has factors [itex]\pm 1, \pm 3, \pm 9[/itex] and the constant term, [itex]a_0[/itex] is 1, which has factors [itex]\pm 1[/itex] so the only possible rational roots are [itex]\pm 1, \pm 1/3, \pm 1/9[/itex].

Putting those into the equation, we see that if
[tex]9(1)^4+ 9(1)^3- 4(1)^2- 3(1)+ 1= 19- 7= 12\ne 0[/tex]
[tex]9(-1)^4+ 9(-1)^3- 4(-1)^2- 3(-1)+ 1= -9+ 9- 4+ 3+ 1= -1+1= 0[/tex]
[tex]9(1/3)^4+ 9(1/3)^3- 4(1/3)^2- 3(1/3)+ 1= 1/9+ 1/3- 4/9- 1+ 1= 1/3- 1/3- 1+ 1= 0[/tex]
We can stop here. Seeing that x= -1 and x= 1/3 are roots, we can divide by x+ 1 and x- 1/3 (not "0.3333") to get a quadratic equation that we can solve using the quadratic formula.

(There is a "quartic formula", http://www.sosmath.com/algebra/factor/fac12/fac12.html, but it is extermely complicated.)

Dude! This is an awesome theorem, thanks for that.

What is a fourth degree equation?

A fourth degree equation is an algebraic equation that contains a variable raised to the fourth power, such as ax4 + bx3 + cx2 + dx + e = 0. These types of equations can have up to four distinct solutions or roots.

How do I solve a fourth degree equation?

The most common method for solving a fourth degree equation is by using the rational roots theorem, which involves factoring and finding possible rational roots. Another method is by using the quartic formula, which can be more complex but can find all solutions, including irrational and complex roots.

Why are fourth degree equations important?

Fourth degree equations play an important role in many areas of mathematics and physics, including in the study of vibrations, oscillations, and wave phenomena. They are also used in solving optimization problems and in the development of computer algorithms.

Can a fourth degree equation have more than four solutions?

No, a fourth degree equation can have at most four distinct solutions. This is because a fourth degree equation can be factored into two quadratic equations, each of which can have at most two solutions. Therefore, the total number of solutions is limited to four.

What are some real-life applications of fourth degree equations?

Fourth degree equations can be used to model a wide range of real-world phenomena, such as the motion of a pendulum, the vibration of a guitar string, and the trajectory of a projectile. They are also used in engineering and economics to solve optimization problems and in computer graphics to create smooth curves and surfaces.