I want to find a cure for herpes. What should I major in?

In summary: There are two reasons. The first is that HSV-2 can cause other diseases, such as pneumonitis, which is a dangerous lung infection. The second is that the vaccine is not 100% effective, so even if someone gets the vaccine, they may still get the virus.In summary, the GEN-003 HSV-2 vaccine is in Phase II trials and is being looked into as a potential cure for the virus.
Linds64
I want to find a cure for the herpes virus. How would I go about getting the education and qualifications needed?

Biology news on Phys.org
Linds64 said:
I want to find a cure for the herpes virus. How would I go about getting the education and qualifications needed?
Good news in the world of virology.

For the first time, there is a vaccine to treat Herpes Simplex Virus type 2 (HSV-2), commonly known as genital herpes. HSV-2 is an infection that infects 500 million people worldwide, and http://www.cdc.gov/std/stats/sti-estimates-fact-sheet-feb-2013.pdf in the United States, second in prevalence only to HPV among sexually transmitted viruses in the U.S. (The far more common herpes, which causes cold sores, is HSV-1.)

The vaccine, which is called GEN-003 is currently in Phase II trials, where it is doing rather well.

http://acsh.org/news/2016/03/10/a-vaccine-for-herpes-erupts-in-the-news/

First you should be up to date on what is happening in the field.

You could get a medical education, become a doctor (MD or an MD/PhD) and do research to find a cure.
Or you could take a more research oriented path and figure out how to cure it without the hassle of becoming an MD. This however would probably rule out direct involvement in clinical processes.

In either case, you would want to get a good understanding of molecular biology and cell biology, but you can get that from via a variety of majors.
Lots of chemistry and physics to get there of course.

Besides vaccines, there are other potential ways to attack viruses, such as HIV drugs or Crispr/Cas9 (although its not worked out yet):
http://www.nature.com/news/hiv-overcomes-https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/dont-fear-crispr-new-gene-editing-technologies-wont-lead-designer-babies/-gene-editing-attack-1.19712

1. What should I major in to find a cure for herpes?

To find a cure for herpes, it is recommended to major in a field related to medical research, such as biology, chemistry, or biochemistry. These majors will provide you with a strong foundation in scientific principles and techniques that are crucial for finding a cure.

2. Is there a specific major that focuses on herpes research?

While there is no specific major that solely focuses on herpes research, there are graduate programs and research opportunities in various fields, such as virology, immunology, and infectious diseases, that allow you to specialize in herpes research.

3. Can I major in any field and still work towards finding a cure for herpes?

Yes, you can major in any field as long as you have a strong background in science and research skills. Many researchers working on finding a cure for herpes come from diverse backgrounds, including medicine, public health, and epidemiology.

4. Will a graduate degree be necessary to find a cure for herpes?

While a graduate degree is not always necessary, it can greatly enhance your knowledge and skills in scientific research and make you a more competitive candidate for research positions in this field. Additionally, many research programs and grants require a graduate degree.

5. Are there any specific courses I should take to prepare for finding a cure for herpes?

In addition to majoring in a field related to medical research, it is recommended to take courses in virology, immunology, and molecular biology. These courses will provide you with a deeper understanding of the virus and its mechanisms, which can aid in finding a cure.