What are the best European countries for those who prefer warm weather?

• Thread starter gfd43tg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Europe
In summary: I don't think I would enjoy living in Europe because of the high prices and the constant partying. I'm more of a laid back person and I find Europe to be too hectic.I also think the lifestyle in the US is more conducive to productivity. Europeans seem to take their time and enjoy life more.
I'm a lost spirit, I need to be wherever I currently am not

Physics news on Phys.org
Maylis said:
I'm a lost spirit, I need to be wherever I currently am not
But then, one will always be there.

I think the US is fascinating both in terms of Nature and of it's people. I've been in 46 of the 50 states by car, and landed enroute in a 47th. I'm determined to drive in all 50.

I've also been to most of W. Europe and parts of E. Europe, in plane, train, bus and automobile. I have many dear friends and colleagues there, and always feels at home, whenever abroad.

I'd recommend a road trip to the seashore, or mountains, or several national parks before writing off one's home.

Borek said:
As of today, don't try train in Poland. They are getting worse with each passing year.

But the idea of "trains in Europe" doesn't make much sense. Each country is different.

My recent experience with trains in Poland is actually quite good, so I would not agree with what you said.

Monique said:
Absolutely right! Feel welcome to live here! :approve:
And who needs ice anyway: who enjoys watered down drinks? Just take a drink from the refrigerator and you'll be fine.

Lack of ice? No problem.

Lack of coffee? Aauurrgh!

First trip to Italy, I'm waking up with jet lag, wandering down to the hotel restaurant for a buffet breakfast, and go for the coffee machine ... and they have these teeny tiny little cups! I finally find a decent size coffee cup to get my coffee, push the button, and this tiny little bit of coffee fills the bottom of my cup... and then keep hitting the button until finally I have a full cup of coffee.

Except it's espresso! Holy cow! Does that ever wake you up! Especially an entire full size cup!

The problem is that you can't find just regular coffee anywhere you go. Nor can you even find a coffee maker so you can't even make your own. When my sister was living in Milan, she had to get someone to ship her a coffee maker from the US (plus she had to grind her own beans as you couldn't find the right grind for American style coffee).

On my second trip to Italy, I was near a US Naval base, so I could at least buy an American coffee maker and coffee grounds - but it also meant an American style plug. All it took was an adapter in order to use it in Italian electrical outlets, but it turns out the current actually makes a difference even in a coffee maker. It worked, but the electronics burned out after a very short time.

Of course, if I'd bought a really cheap coffee maker (one with no electronics), it probably would have worked perfectly. Don't know, because by that time I'd bought a transformer so I could run regular 120V/60Hz electrical power for all my American electronics - only to have the transformer blow due to some power problem in the apartment we were living in. I will say that those circuit breakers in your good power strips really do work. That power strip was totally fried, complete with burn marks on the inside of the power strip. But I didn't lose any of the equipment plugged into the power strip (of course, none of it was actually powered on since I wasn't home when the power problem first occurred - I just came home and noticed the light bulbs were incredibly dim).

So I'd say I had two problems with Italy: the electricity and the lack of coffee. The lack of coffee was definitely the worse of the two.

I need my coffee! :grumpy:

BobG: You can just take some instant coffee packs with you, and then just add hot water.

BobG said:
The problem is that you can't find just regular coffee anywhere you go. Nor can you even find a coffee maker so you can't even make your own. When my sister was living in Milan, she had to get someone to ship her a coffee maker from the US (plus she had to grind her own beans as you couldn't find the right grind for American style coffee).
What year was that, 1689? You realize the Italians are known for their coffee?

If you want an American coffee, just take an espresso and add water to it:
http://www.yourguidetoitaly.com/types-of-italian-coffee.html

Monique said:
What year was that, 1689? You realize the Italians are known for their coffee?

If you want an American coffee, just take an espresso and add water to it:
http://www.yourguidetoitaly.com/types-of-italian-coffee.html

If I were James Bond, I'd order a caffe freddo "shaken, not stirred". :biggrin:

Adding water to espresso just gives you weak espresso - it doesn't actually change the taste.

For good coffee, the beans need to be grown at high altitude in rich, volcanic soil, have to have a medium roast, and the beans need to be ground just before brewing the coffee. I have no general rule for grinding the beans, as you need a grinder that allows the settings to be changed and then you have to play with it a while until the grind is just right (but the grind does make a difference). Or I should say the coffee maker and grind settings have to be synchronized, as you get to play around with the grinder to find a perfect setting each time you buy a new coffee maker (unless you buy coffee makers two at a time, as I do, but that still only delays the time until I have to resynch things).

Some people feel each cup has to be ground and brewed just before drinking, but I don't quite go that far. Brewing an entire pot is fine, just as long as the coffee's poured into a decanter (or thermos) after brewing (the warming plate on most coffee makers eventually burns the coffee).

Dark roast coffees (such as espressos, dark Italian, French roast, etc) burn the beans before they've even arrived in your kitchen. A lot of people like that taste. I don't. But the important part is that you can't change the taste of a dark roast to the taste of a medium roast (or a light roast, if that's what a person likes) just by adding water.

Last edited:
Ah so you do appreciate a good coffee. What is your opinion of french press coffee?

Egads Bob, the espresso in Italy is one of my fondest memories, it was SO GOOD. I haven't found anything like it here in the US. But I also like a dark roast, not the taste of a dirty ashtray like Starbucks, but my coffee needs to be able to announce it's presence. Different strokes for different folks. :smile:

Monique said:
Ah so you do appreciate a good coffee. What is your opinion of french press coffee?

The French press gets kidnapped by insurgents, attacked by soccer players, and they take selfies of themselves in the Oval Office of the White House! I'd be afraid to even try their coffee! They probably just reheat last week's coffee!

bobg said:
the french press gets kidnapped by insurgents, attacked by soccer players, and they take selfies of themselves in the oval office of the white house! I'd be afraid to even try their coffee! They probably just reheat last week's coffee!
lol!

Evo said:
Egads Bob, the espresso in Italy is one of my fondest memories, it was SO GOOD. I haven't found anything like it here in the US. But I also like a dark roast, not the taste of a dirty ashtray like Starbucks, but my coffee needs to be able to announce it's presence. Different strokes for different folks. :smile:

Try a bag from this site Evo, they do mail order: http://www.olympiacoffee.com/

The guy that own this is a friend of my friend who owns a local cybercafe. He has all their coffees in stock with new varieties coming in every 2 weeks or so. There's a variety for every palette. I think you may be pleased.

Something you need to look out for is the weather and climate of each country, and how it compares to the state you live in. Nordic countries (Denmark, Sweden, Norway and Finland) have very good universities and education, but it's almost always below freezing temperatures there and you only get a few hours of Sun for many months during the year. Germany, UK and Northern France would be the most related countries to US northern states.

As a Southern European I can't imagine myself living in those countries, I hate bad weather. I think I couldn't stand being in a cold and wet country all year (atleast here it's just in the Winter).

Tosh5457 said:
Something you need to look out for is the weather and climate of each country, and how it compares to the state you live in. Nordic countries (Denmark, Sweden, Norway and Finland) have very good universities and education, but it's almost always below freezing temperatures there and you only get a few hours of Sun for many months during the year. Germany, UK and Northern France would be the most related countries to US northern states.

As a Southern European I can't imagine myself living in those countries, I hate bad weather. I think I couldn't stand being in a cold and wet country all year (atleast here it's just in the Winter).

I wonder, if Europe extended further south, would they have an equivalent of Mississippi?