1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I want to show my students how to block the signal coming from a wireless router.

1. Sep 1, 2009 #1
    i am new , so i am not sure if this is the rite place.
    my Question
    i want to show my students how to block

the signal coming from a wireless

router. Pl help!?
    i have tried wrapping the antenna with

aluminium foil and putting the whole

modem in an aluminium container, none of

which works. thanks.
    when i put my mobile phone in the

aluminium container , it successfully

block the mobile phone signal. why

doesnt it block the signal from my

modem???

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2009 #2
    Re: i want to show my students how to block the signal coming from a wireless rou

Your Faraday cage might not be working for several reasons.

One reason might be that there are holes or that the antenna is touching the cage.

Another reason might be just that the material you are using is not thick enough. A wifi router probably puts out a stronger signal than a cell phone. Try using thicker and/or denser metal.

4. Sep 1, 2009 #3

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: i want to show my students how to block the signal coming from a wireless rou

When you put the router in the al box I assume you had the power and network cable going in? The signal can leak out through the same holes, it can even re-radiate along those wires.

For high frequency RF, especially in a system which is designed to be sensitive to low level signals you need to make it pretty much airtight.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook