What will happen if I wrap the router in metalic foil

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
kos
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
What is going to happen if I enclose the whole router with the antenna in a metalic ( aluminium ) foil as it emits signal ? Don't ask me why ? Just as a crazy experiment. It looks like a microwave oven case but I'm not absouloutly sure ?
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
Give it a try. One experiment is worth a thousand expert opinions.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: stoomart and Averagesupernova
kos said:
What is going to happen if I enclose the whole router with the antenna in a metalic ( aluminium ) foil as it emits signal ? Don't ask me why ? Just as a crazy experiment. It looks like a microwave oven case but I'm not absouloutly sure ?
If you put the router into a good quality shielded box with RF filtering on the power going into the box, very little of the RF signal will get out of the box (or into it from outside). Wrapping aluminum foil around the router will have some shielding effect, but nowhere near what a good shielded enclosure with filtered power will have.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: cnh1995
jim hardy said:
Give it a try.
I did... not a router, just the tin foil.
jim hardy said:
One experiment is worth a thousand expert opinions.
It makes a really lousy hat... IMEO. . :oldbiggrin:
 
Last edited: