What will happen if I wrap the router in metalic foil

In summary, enclosing a router with an antenna in aluminum foil may have some shielding effect, but it will not be as effective as a shielded enclosure with filtered power. However, it is worth trying as one experiment is often worth more than a thousand expert opinions.
kos
What is going to happen if I enclose the whole router with the antenna in a metalic ( aluminium ) foil as it emits signal ? Don't ask me why ? Just as a crazy experiment. It looks like a microwave oven case but I'm not absouloutly sure ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Give it a try. One experiment is worth a thousand expert opinions.

Likes stoomart and Averagesupernova
kos said:
What is going to happen if I enclose the whole router with the antenna in a metalic ( aluminium ) foil as it emits signal ? Don't ask me why ? Just as a crazy experiment. It looks like a microwave oven case but I'm not absouloutly sure ?
If you put the router into a good quality shielded box with RF filtering on the power going into the box, very little of the RF signal will get out of the box (or into it from outside). Wrapping aluminum foil around the router will have some shielding effect, but nowhere near what a good shielded enclosure with filtered power will have.

Likes cnh1995
jim hardy said:
Give it a try.
I did... not a router, just the tin foil.
jim hardy said:
One experiment is worth a thousand expert opinions.
It makes a really lousy hat... IMEO. [COLOR=#black].[/COLOR] :oldbiggrin:

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of wrapping a router in metallic foil?

The purpose of wrapping a router in metallic foil is to create a Faraday cage, which blocks external electromagnetic interference and helps to improve the performance and stability of the router's signal.

2. Will wrapping my router in metallic foil make my internet connection faster?

No, wrapping a router in metallic foil will not directly make your internet connection faster. However, it may help to improve the stability and reliability of your connection by reducing external interference.

3. Is it safe to wrap my router in metallic foil?

Yes, it is safe to wrap your router in metallic foil. The foil is not conductive, so it will not cause any harm to the router or interfere with its functionality.

4. Can I wrap my router in any type of metallic foil?

It is recommended to use aluminum foil to wrap your router as it is lightweight and easily moldable. Other types of metallic foil, such as copper or steel, may be too thick or stiff and may not provide the same level of protection.

5. Will wrapping my router in metallic foil completely block all external interference?

No, wrapping your router in metallic foil will not completely block all external interference. It will only help to reduce the amount of interference and improve the signal quality, but it cannot eliminate all sources of interference.