1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I: X'->X the identity function with topology

1. Feb 23, 2009 #1
    Let X and X' denote a single set in the two topologies T and T', respectively. Let i:X'-> X be the identity function
    a. Show that i is continuous <=> T' is finer than T.
    b. Show that i is a homeomorphism <=> T'=T

This is all i've got.

According to the first statement... X [tex]\subset[/tex] T and X' [tex]\subset[/tex] T

a. if i is continuous... each open subset V of X' the set i^-1 is an open subset of X
    T' is finer than T means... T [tex]\subset[/tex] T'.

i don't know where to go from here...

b. if i is a homeomorphism...
    then... i is... a bijection therefore the function and the inverse function are continuous.
    i and i^-1 are continuous. each open subset V of X' the set i^-1 is an open subset of X
    if T' = T... then.....

i don't know where to go from here either...

can someone help me out?

Thank You,
    tomboi03

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2009 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

don't know a heap about this stuff but would think you were pretty close, will have a try...

so
    X [tex]\in[/tex] T
    X' [tex]\in[/tex] T'

for a)
    prove ->

i is the identity X' -> X
    continuous means preimage of an open set is open

so given V[tex]\in[/tex] T (as the topology contains all the open sets)
    then V' = i-1.V is open
    so V' is in T'
    but
    V' = i.V' = i. i-1.V = V (little sketchy about this part??)
    so
    if
    V[tex]\in[/tex] T
    then
    V is in T'

so T [tex]\subseteq[/tex] T'

now need to prove other direction....

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  4. Feb 24, 2009 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

T' "finer" than T means that any open set in T is an open set in T' (but there may be open sets in T' that are not in T).

Suppose T' is finer than T. If U is an open set in T, then i-1 maps it back to itself, which is an open set in T' so the identity map is continuous.

Suppose i is continuous. It U is an open set in T, then i-1 maps it back to itself, which, because i is continuous, is open and so in T'. Thus, every member of T is in T' and so T' is finer than T.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook