I: X'->X the identity function with topology

Need to prove that i is a bijection. Suppose i is a bijection then it follows that i is also a homeomorphism. Suppose i is a homeomorphism. Then U is an open set in T, which implies i-1.U is open in T' and so is in T. Then i.U = U and so U is open in T'. So any open sets in T are also open in T'. But T is finer than T' and so T = T'. Now this is where I get a bit stuck. For one thing, what is the difference between a topology being finer than another and two topologies being the same?
tomboi03
Let X and X' denote a single set in the two topologies T and T', respectively. Let i:X'-> X be the identity function
a. Show that i is continuous <=> T' is finer than T.
b. Show that i is a homeomorphism <=> T'=T

This is all I've got.

According to the first statement... X [tex]\subset[/tex] T and X' [tex]\subset[/tex] T

a. if i is continuous... each open subset V of X' the set i^-1 is an open subset of X
T' is finer than T means... T [tex]\subset[/tex] T'.

i don't know where to go from here...

b. if i is a homeomorphism...
then... i is... a bijection therefore the function and the inverse function are continuous.
i and i^-1 are continuous. each open subset V of X' the set i^-1 is an open subset of X
if T' = T... then...

i don't know where to go from here either...

can someone help me out?

Thank You,
tomboi03

Physics news on Phys.org
don't know a heap about this stuff but would think you were pretty close, will have a try...

so
X [tex]\in[/tex] T
X' [tex]\in[/tex] T'

for a)
prove ->

i is the identity X' -> X
continuous means preimage of an open set is open

so given V[tex]\in[/tex] T (as the topology contains all the open sets)
then V' = i-1.V is open
so V' is in T'
but
V' = i.V' = i. i-1.V = V (little sketchy about this part??)
so
if
V[tex]\in[/tex] T
then
V is in T'

so T [tex]\subseteq[/tex] T'

now need to prove other direction...

Last edited:
T' "finer" than T means that any open set in T is an open set in T' (but there may be open sets in T' that are not in T).

Suppose T' is finer than T. If U is an open set in T, then i-1 maps it back to itself, which is an open set in T' so the identity map is continuous.

Suppose i is continuous. It U is an open set in T, then i-1 maps it back to itself, which, because i is continuous, is open and so in T'. Thus, every member of T is in T' and so T' is finer than T.

1. What is the definition of the identity function with topology?

The identity function with topology, denoted as I: X → X, is a function that maps every element in a set X to itself. In other words, it is a function where the input and output are the same.

2. How is the identity function with topology different from a regular identity function?

The difference lies in the use of topology. The identity function with topology takes into account the topology of a set, which is a way of defining the properties of a set and its elements. This means that the identity function with topology can preserve the topological properties of a set while a regular identity function cannot.

3. What are some examples of the identity function with topology?

An example of the identity function with topology is the set of real numbers with the usual topology. In this case, the identity function with topology maps every real number to itself, preserving the properties of the set. Another example is the set of integers with the discrete topology, where the identity function with topology maps each integer to itself, maintaining the discrete topology.

4. What is the role of the identity function with topology in mathematics?

The identity function with topology has many applications in mathematics, particularly in the field of topology. It is used to define topological spaces and continuous functions. It also helps in the study of homeomorphisms, which are functions that preserve the topological properties of a space.

5. How is the identity function with topology used in real-world applications?

The identity function with topology is used in various real-world applications, such as data compression and pattern recognition. In data compression, it is used to preserve the topological structure of the data, ensuring that the original data can be reconstructed accurately. In pattern recognition, it helps to identify and classify objects by preserving their topological properties.