IACalculate Maximum Compression Distance of a Spring with Vertical Placement

• Thread starter Townsend
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around finding the maximum distance a spring will be compressed when a 1.70 kg book is dropped onto it from a height of 0.70 m. The formula used was k_1 + U_1 + W_{other} = k_2 + U_2, and the issue was adjusting the equations to account for potential energy and distance compressed. The final answer was calculated to be 0.142 meters, with the spring constant being 1400N/m.
Townsend
I just need to make sure I understand how to do this and that I am doing everything correctly. Could someone check my work please?

You place the spring vertically with one end on the floor. You then drop a 1.70 kg book onto it from a height of 0.70 m above the top of the spring. Find the maximum distance the spring will be compressed.
So
k_1 + U_1 + W_{other} = k_2 + U_2
I have that

k_1=0, U_1= mgy_1, W_o=0, k_2=0, U_2=1/2kx^2

So the issue is that I have to the potential energy to the start of the spring plus the distance the spring compresses.

To solve this I need to adjust the equations to look like

mg(y+x)=1/2kx^2

This works out to a homogenous quadradic that looks like

1/2kx^2-mgx-mgy=0

Plugining in values and solving gets me

0.142 meters.

TIA

T

Physics news on Phys.org
You didn't include the spring constant, so I can't check your arithmetic, but your reasoning looks faultless to me. Good job. :)

Diane_ said:
You didn't include the spring constant, so I can't check your arithmetic, but your reasoning looks faultless to me. Good job. :)

oops...sorry about that.

It should be 1400N/m...and thanks :smile:

Related to IACalculate Maximum Compression Distance of a Spring with Vertical Placement

1. What is the maximum compression distance of a spring with vertical placement?

The maximum compression distance of a spring with vertical placement is the distance the spring can be compressed before reaching its solid height, also known as the point where the spring coils touch each other.

2. How is the maximum compression distance of a spring determined?

The maximum compression distance of a spring is determined by its physical characteristics, such as the wire diameter, outer diameter, and number of coils. These factors are used to calculate the spring's maximum compression force, which can then be used to determine the maximum compression distance.

3. What is the formula for calculating the maximum compression distance of a spring?

The formula for calculating the maximum compression distance of a spring is: (Free length x Solid height) / (Solid height + Number of coils x Wire diameter). This formula takes into account the spring's initial length, solid height, and number of coils to determine the maximum distance it can be compressed.

4. Can the maximum compression distance of a spring be increased?

No, the maximum compression distance of a spring is a physical limitation based on its design and cannot be increased. Attempting to compress a spring beyond its maximum compression distance can cause permanent damage to the spring.

5. How does vertical placement affect the maximum compression distance of a spring?

The vertical placement of a spring does not directly affect its maximum compression distance. However, it can affect the spring's overall performance and may need to be taken into consideration when calculating the spring's maximum compression distance. For example, a spring placed in a vertical position may experience more stress and require a larger maximum compression distance to reach its solid height compared to a spring placed horizontally.