IBP Paradox for cot x integral

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem statement involving finding the integral of cot x, a solution using integration by parts, and a question about the result of the integration. The expert summarizer points out that the paradox in the solution is due to neglecting the arbitrary constant, which is a common occurrence in indefinite integration.
ahaanomegas
Greetings! I hope this is the correct forum for my question (this is my first post, here).

The problem statement

Find: [itex]\displaystyle\int \cot x \ \mathrm{d}x[/itex]

A Solution
We can re-write this integral into a convenient form: [itex]\displaystyle\int \cot x \ \mathrm{d}x = \displaystyle\int \dfrac{\cos x}{\sin x} \ \mathrm{d}x[/itex]

Now, let [itex]u=\sin x[/itex]. Then, [itex]du = \cos x \ \mathrm{d}x[/itex].

The integral becomes: [itex]\displaystyle\int \dfrac {du}{u} \ \mathrm{d}x[/itex] and we integrate to get [itex]\ln |u|[/itex] (ignoring the constant of integration, for now -- reason: simplicity).

We convert our result into a formula with respect to [itex]x[/itex]:
[itex]\boxed{\ln |\sin x| + \mathcal{C}}[/itex]​

My Question

If we use Integration by Parts, however, with [itex]u=\dfrac{1}{\sin x}[/itex] and [itex]\mathrm{d}v = \cos x \ \mathrm{d}x[/itex] and
[itex]\displaystyle\int u \ \mathrm{d}v = uv - \displaystyle\int v \ \mathrm{d}u,[/itex]​
we get [itex]1=0[/itex]. I can show my solution, if needed. Why is this? (A friend of mine pointed this out to me)

Thanks in advance! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
You get 1 = 0 only by rather slippery neglect of the arbitrary constant. The full integration-by-parts would have to read

[tex]\int \frac{cos x dx}{sin x} = ( csc x )( sin x ) + \int (sin x) ( csc x cot x ) dx \mathbf{+ C } .[/tex]

Someone had a post a month or so back (I don't know if I can find it again quickly) where the paradox there also turned on making a "1" appear out of nowhere. What you learn about indefinite integration is that finite numbers don't count for much...

That sounds facetious, but you do find that, for example, certain trigonometric-powers integrals can give one form of an anti-derivative using one technique of integration, and a different (but equivalent) form of the anti-derivative using another method. When you apply trig identities to show the equivalence of the two results, you find that they differ by a small number. But since both results are general anti-derivatives with arbitrary constants, the small number is actually irrelevant (in a sense, it shows the difference in "vertical shift" of the two anti-derivative functions). So the specified constant value can be made to appear or disappear, depending on the choice of anti-derivative. One could say that arbitrary constants of integration "swallow" numerical constants.

Last edited:

What is the IBP Paradox for cot x integral?

The IBP Paradox for cot x integral refers to a mathematical phenomenon where the integration by parts (IBP) method is used to evaluate the integral of the cotangent function, resulting in a paradoxical answer. This paradox arises because the integral of cot x does not converge, yet the IBP method suggests that it can be evaluated.

Why does the IBP Paradox for cot x integral occur?

The IBP Paradox for cot x integral occurs because the cotangent function is not a well-behaved function and does not have a convergent integral. The IBP method, however, assumes that the function being integrated is well-behaved and has a convergent integral, leading to the paradoxical result.

How is the IBP Paradox for cot x integral resolved?

The IBP Paradox for cot x integral can be resolved by recognizing that the cotangent function has a singularity at x = 0, where it is undefined. Therefore, the IBP method cannot be applied to the entire interval of integration. By excluding the singularity from the interval of integration, the paradoxical result can be avoided.

What implications does the IBP Paradox for cot x integral have?

The IBP Paradox for cot x integral highlights the importance of carefully examining the assumptions and conditions for applying mathematical methods. It also underscores the need for caution when using these methods, as they may lead to erroneous results in certain cases.

Are there any real-world applications of the IBP Paradox for cot x integral?

The IBP Paradox for cot x integral has limited real-world applications as it arises from a mathematical paradox. However, it can serve as a cautionary example in the study of mathematical methods and their limitations. It also highlights the importance of understanding the properties of functions and their behavior in various domains.