1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solve the coefficient of friction in a problem involving circular motion

1. Dec 17, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If a curve with a radius of 88m is perfectly banked for a car traveling 75km/hr, what must be the coefficient of static friction for a car not to skid when traveling at 95km/hr?

2. Relevant equations
    i guess relevant equations would be tan θ = v^2/rg, but its says next to friction not needed?
    f=ma or fr=mar
    and Ffr = µs x Fn

3. The attempt at a solution

I made a free body diagram and since it said it was banked i set that in the y axis theres no acceleration, so following the book (Giancoli), I got Fn=mg/cos θ. I solved for that and got 95^2/(88)(9.8) = .40 then inverse tan 10.46 or 84.5 for the angle

then in the x axis i got Fn sin θ - Ffr = mar for the sum of the forces. I substituted Ffr for µs x Fn and Fn = mg cos θ. I
    I then had Fn sin θ - µs mg cos θ = mar
    I divided mass from both sides and divided both sides by m.
    I then for ar substituted v^2/r
    Then I isolated µs by dividing cos θ and subtracting Fn sin θ
    So I then had µs = V^2/r x cos θ - Fn sin θ
    I plugged everything in and I got 9015, I know this wrong just by looking at it, the back of the book says .22, I am completely clueless, so if anyone could help, I'd greatly appreciate it. Sorry if it is a little confusing.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2007 #2
    The centripetal force of the car is caused by friction

The car is accelerating at [tex]a = \frac{v^2}{r}[/tex]

Equating the force of friction and the centripetal force, we have

[tex]F_f = \mu F_N = ma[/tex]

[tex]\mu * mg = \frac{mv^2}{r}[/tex]

[tex]\mu = \frac{v^2}{gr}[/tex]
  4. Dec 17, 2007 #3
    thank you, I forgot to convert 95km/hr to m/s too, anyways thanks again!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?