1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ideal cells in parallel combination

1. Jun 3, 2015 #1
    good evening to all
    if two ideal cells with emf 6 volt and 3 volt are connected in parellel to supply current how the net emf can be decided

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 3, 2015 #2
  4. Jun 3, 2015 #3

cnh1995

Homework Helper

I think internal resistances must be given for parallel combination of cells..

5. Jun 3, 2015 #4
    Thanks to all... It is same as best of my knowledge now i know that i am right

6. Jun 3, 2015 #5

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

And what is the conclusion that you "know is right" ?

7. Jun 3, 2015 #6
    That it is impractical to say them ideal cell. Coz we ignore the internal resistance of a cell sometimes in comparison to external resistancesand call it ideal but when no external resistance is present you have to consider the internal resistance

8. Jun 3, 2015 #7

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Ah, yes. You are right, but ideal components are the staple of introductory electronics. and it is more correct to say that you simply cannot PUT ideal voltages sources with different voltages in parallel because you would thereby violate the definition of one or the other or both.

9. Jun 3, 2015 #8

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just for completeness....

You can't connect two ideal current sources in series either.

10. Jun 4, 2015 #9
    What is the problem in series combination

11. Jun 4, 2015 #10

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

cwaters said ideal CURRENT sources cannot be put in series. Again, it would violate the definition of one or the other or both (unless they had identical values, in which case it's just silly)

12. Jun 4, 2015 #11
    ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1433420002.408990.jpg
    Is there any problem in this solution

13. Jun 4, 2015 #12

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

No problem, since ideal voltage sources can go in series (and ideal current sources can go in parallel)

14. Jun 4, 2015 #13
    Ok ok got it

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook