Ideal gas law in terms of density

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
14 replies · 3K views
goonking
Messages
434
Reaction score
3

Homework Statement


upload_2015-5-15_2-14-24.png


Homework Equations


PV=nRT

The Attempt at a Solution


not sure if this is the right approach

upload_2015-5-15_2-17-38.png


plugging into -ρg gives us -PMg/RT = dP/dy

now we have to integrate both sides to find P?
 
Attachments
  • upload_2015-5-15_2-19-43.png
    upload_2015-5-15_2-19-43.png
    774 bytes · Views: 514
Physics news on Phys.org
Raghav Gupta said:
How you can write n as?
n? number of moles?
 
goonking said:

Homework Statement


View attachment 83508

Homework Equations


PV=nRT

The Attempt at a Solution


not sure if this is the right approach

View attachment 83509

plugging into -ρg gives us -PMg/RT = dP/dy

now we have to integrate both sides to find P?
The approach is right. What do you get if you integrate?
 
Raghav Gupta said:
The approach is right. What do you get if you integrate?
well, i have no idea how to integrate that! :(

i only know how to integrate stuff like x2 + 3
 
goonking said:
well, i have no idea how to integrate that! :(

i only know how to integrate stuff like x2 + 3
No, problem.
Do you know differentiation?
 
Raghav Gupta said:
No, problem.
Do you know differentiation?
no, I'm suppose to take that next year :(
 
goonking said:
no, I'm suppose to take that next year :(
Oh, okay
Then for the moment remember
$$ \int dx/x = lnx + C $$
Now use this in your problem.
And tell what you are getting.
 
Raghav Gupta said:
Oh, okay
Then for the moment remember
$$ \int dx/x = lnx + C $$
Now use this in your problem.
And tell what you are getting.
i'm staring at this and still have no idea what to do, ok, so I know i can take the constants out and put it behind the integral

(-Mg/RT) ∫ P = dP/dy

correct? all the constants are out except P
 
Ah, you may also not know the definite integration. I may have to do lot of work here.
$$ \frac{-Mg}{RT}\int_0^{8812} dy = \int_{10^5}^P \frac{dp}{P} $$
At ground height is zero and pressure 105 pascals.
At height 8812 m we have to find pressure. The limits are taken accordingly.
Now I guess you know how to solve further ?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: goonking
Raghav Gupta said:
Ah, you may also not know the definite integration. I may have to do lot of work here.
$$ \frac{-Mg}{RT}\int_0^{8812} dy = \int_{10^5}^P \frac{dp}{P} $$
At ground height is zero and pressure 105 pascals.
At height 8812 m we have to find pressure. The limits are taken accordingly.
Now I guess you know how to solve further ?
the left side of the equation should equal -1.095, correct?
 
goonking said:
the left side of the equation should equal -1.095, correct?
I must go to school now, i will finish this problem next time.
 
goonking said:
the left side of the equation should equal -1.095, correct?
Yes, and what right side evaluates to?