Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Ideal gas question(thermal physics)

1. Jan 12, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

estimate the number of air molecules in an average sized room

2. Relevant equations

possible equation: N=n*N(a) , N(a) being avogradro number. N being the number of molecules. PV=RTn
    3. The attempt at a solution

So should I guesstimate what n should be and the multiply that by avogradro number to get my total number of molecules. Or maybe I should apply the Ideal gas equation to find n and then multiply n by N(a) to calculate N

Last edited: Jan 12, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2008 #2

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What is the P,V and T in an ordinary room?

4. Jan 12, 2008 #3
    Room temperature is around 21 degrees celsius, P=1.01*10^5 pascals, and I guess in order to get the volume, I assume the room is equal to the shape of a cube and the length of an average room is around 25 meters. I can now calculate my volume by cubing the length of the side of the room./

5. Jan 12, 2008 #4

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Check what you just wrote.. temp must be in kelvnin, and preassure in Si-units. And you have a VERY large room :P biggern than my house :)

let T = 300K, P = 1*10^5 N/m^2, and an average room is like 2.5m from floor to ceiling and 5m x 5m.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook