Ideal Gases: dU=dW+dQ and dU=3/2RdT

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation dU=dW+dQ and dU=\frac{3}{2}RdT and how they relate to the general equation of state (I) and the solved equation of state in regards to constant T, p, or V or adiabatic conditions (II). The focus is on understanding which term in the general equation goes to zero when the solved equation is presented, in order to use the ideal gas law to show relationships between variables that are not being held constant. The conversation also mentions the Equation Table for ideal gas and the thermodynamic equation that matches (II), where the variable kept constant is volume (isochoric).
georg gill
(I):

dU=dW+dQ

also (II):

[tex]dU=\frac{3}{2}RdT[/tex]

if you compress a gas dW in dU is positive from pV=nRT lesser volume could either mean more pressure or more T. If dV gives dp only then dT=0 how can then dU for dW in (I) be equal dU in (II)?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
George; don't confuse your general equation of state (I) with the solved equation of state with respect to the setting of a constant T, p, or V or adiabatic condition (II).

What is implied is the question of what term in the general equation goes to zero when the solved equation is presented for a process; then using the conditions that create that solution, allows one to use the ideal gas law to show relationships of the variables that are not being held constant.

Do you see where this is going now?

MrSid said:
George; don't confuse your general equation of state (I) with the solved equation of state with respect to the setting of a constant T, p, or V or adiabatic condition (II).

What is implied is the question of what term in the general equation goes to zero when the solved equation is presented for a process; then using the conditions that create that solution, allows one to use the ideal gas law to show relationships of the variables that are not being held constant.

Do you see where this is going now?

I am a bit confused unfortunately. Why is (II) adiabatic?

thank you

sorry George- not to imply that (II) is adiabatic;

but just to set the stage that one of those four conditions as constant when the equation of state is solved- In fact you will find in the wiki article Table_of_thermodynamic_equations
about halfway down an Equation Table for ideal gas and for the thermodynamic equation that matches (II) the variable that is kept constant is volume (isochoric).

In (I), the equation dU=dW+dQ represents the change in internal energy (dU) of an ideal gas when work (dW) and heat (dQ) are applied to it. This equation takes into account both the change in volume (V) and the change in temperature (T) of the gas.

In (II), the equation dU=\frac{3}{2}RdT represents the change in internal energy (dU) of an ideal gas solely due to a change in temperature (dT). This equation is derived from the first law of thermodynamics, which states that the change in internal energy of a system is equal to the heat (dQ) added to the system minus the work (dW) done by the system.

It is important to note that in both equations, the term dU represents the total change in internal energy, which includes both the change in temperature and the work done on the gas. Therefore, even if dT=0, there can still be a change in internal energy if work is done on the gas, as shown in (I).

In summary, both equations (I) and (II) are valid and represent different aspects of the change in internal energy of an ideal gas. The first equation takes into account both work and heat, while the second equation focuses solely on the change in temperature.

What is an ideal gas?

An ideal gas is a theoretical gas that follows the ideal gas law, which states that the pressure, volume, and temperature of a gas are related by the equation PV = nRT. This means that an ideal gas has no volume, no intermolecular forces, and undergoes perfectly elastic collisions.

What does dU=dW+dQ mean in relation to ideal gases?

In thermodynamics, dU=dW+dQ is an expression that describes the change in internal energy (dU) of an ideal gas. dW represents the work done on the gas, and dQ represents the heat added to the gas. This equation shows that the change in internal energy is equal to the sum of the work done on the gas and the heat added to the gas.

What does dU=3/2RdT mean in relation to ideal gases?

dU=3/2RdT is another expression that describes the change in internal energy of an ideal gas. In this equation, R represents the ideal gas constant and T represents the temperature. This equation is derived from the ideal gas law and shows that the internal energy of an ideal gas is directly proportional to its temperature.

What are some examples of ideal gases?

Some common examples of ideal gases are helium, neon, argon, and hydrogen. These gases are considered ideal because they have low densities, low intermolecular forces, and follow the ideal gas law closely under normal conditions.

How do real gases differ from ideal gases?

Real gases differ from ideal gases in that they have non-zero volumes and intermolecular forces. These differences become more significant at high pressures and low temperatures. Real gases also deviate from the ideal gas law at these extreme conditions, whereas ideal gases follow the law exactly.