Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ideal gases and U

1. May 15, 2012 #1

georg gill

Gold Member

(I):

dU=dW+dQ

also (II):

[tex]dU=\frac{3}{2}RdT[/tex]

if you compress a gas dW in dU is positive from pV=nRT lesser volume could either mean more pressure or more T. If dV gives dp only then dT=0 how can then dU for dW in (I) be equal dU in (II)?

2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2012 #2
    George; don't confuse your general equation of state (I) with the solved equation of state with respect to the setting of a constant T, p, or V or adiabatic condition (II).

What is implied is the question of what term in the general equation goes to zero when the solved equation is presented for a process; then using the conditions that create that solution, allows one to use the ideal gas law to show relationships of the variables that are not being held constant.

Do you see where this is going now?

4. May 16, 2012 #3

georg gill

Gold Member

I am a bit confused unfortunately. Why is (II) adiabatic?

thank you

5. May 16, 2012 #4
    sorry George- not to imply that (II) is adiabatic;

but just to set the stage that one of those four conditions as constant when the equation of state is solved- In fact you will find in the wiki article Table_of_thermodynamic_equations
    about halfway down an Equation Table for ideal gas and for the thermodynamic equation that matches (II) the variable that is kept constant is volume (isochoric).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook