Ideal Transformer: Vp/Vs, Ip/Is, Np/Ns Ratios

• Thread starter Volcano
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Transformer
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of transformers and how they transfer power. The turns ratio can be used to change the voltage, current, or impedance. In an ideal transformer, the power stays constant and the efficiency is 100%. If the load resistance changes, the currents change but the voltages do not.
Volcano
Hi,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transformer

related picture:
11760pt.jpg

Above link, says: "If the voltage is increased, then the current is decreased by the same factor."

I didn't understand. Is this means, if I increase Vp, Ip will decrease? Or means Is will decrease?

One more... Suppose an ideal transformer. Vp/Vs , Np/Ns and Is/Ip ratios are equal(like given pic). If I increase Vp then Vs will too because Np/Ns ratio is constant. So, Vp/Vs ratio will be equal to Np/Np everytime. Let's suppose, load resistance is variable(potentiometer) and resistance is increasing;

1. Vs won't change. Because Vp, Np, Ns didn't change.
2. Is will decrease. Because Vs = Is * R(Ohm Law).
3. Ip will decrease like Is.

As a result: If transformer is ideal and ONLY load(resistance) decrease, neither Vp nor Vs don't change. Only both Ip and Is decrease. Surely if load(resistance) increase both circuits decrease but both voltages stay the same.

Am I right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The best way to look at this is to realize that transformers transfer power.
The effect of changing the voltage or current or impedance by the turns ratio is a very convenient and useful side effect.
We actually distinguish (select) transformer types according to whether we want to change the voltage, current or impedance.
Having chosen what property we wish to change the othere follow like sheep, from Joules and Ohms laws.

Now power = volts x amps for both the primary and the secondary

The power stays constant for an ideal transformer since the efficiency = 100%

[tex]{P_s} = {I_s}{V_s} = {P_p} = {I_p}{V_p}[/tex]

Does this help?

Yes, i know that equation. And I suppose am right. But asked to be sure. If load resistance change, both currents change but voltages not, isn't it?

Yes.

thank you :)

1. What is an ideal transformer?

An ideal transformer is a theoretical device that is used to transfer electrical energy from one circuit to another through electromagnetic induction. It consists of two or more coils of wire that are wrapped around a common iron core, and operates based on the principle of mutual induction.

2. What is the Vp/Vs ratio in an ideal transformer?

The Vp/Vs ratio, also known as the voltage transformation ratio, is the ratio of the primary voltage (Vp) to the secondary voltage (Vs) in an ideal transformer. This ratio is determined by the number of turns in the primary coil and the number of turns in the secondary coil.

3. How is the Ip/Is ratio calculated in an ideal transformer?

The Ip/Is ratio, also known as the current transformation ratio, is calculated by dividing the primary current (Ip) by the secondary current (Is). This ratio is determined by the number of turns in the primary coil and the number of turns in the secondary coil, as well as the load resistance in the secondary circuit.

4. What is the Np/Ns ratio in an ideal transformer?

The Np/Ns ratio, also known as the turns ratio, is the ratio of the number of turns in the primary coil (Np) to the number of turns in the secondary coil (Ns) in an ideal transformer. This ratio determines the voltage and current transformation ratios and is usually denoted by the symbol “n”.

5. How do the Vp/Vs, Ip/Is, and Np/Ns ratios affect the performance of an ideal transformer?

The Vp/Vs, Ip/Is, and Np/Ns ratios determine the efficiency and voltage/current transformation capabilities of an ideal transformer. A higher Vp/Vs ratio results in a higher secondary voltage, while a higher Ip/Is ratio results in a higher secondary current. The Np/Ns ratio affects the voltage and current transformation ratios and plays a crucial role in determining the output voltage and current of the transformer.