Ideas for Infinity Mirror Geometries

In summary, the speaker is interested in creating a large scale geometric structure, specifically an infinity dodecahedron or icosahedron. They are seeking suggestions for other, more complex shapes that could work well. They also suggest the idea of suspending a different geodesic dome inside the first one and incorporating LED flat panel displays for dynamic shapes. They mention the possibility of creating simulators to preview different patterns and encourage the sharing of pictures once the project is completed.
Jarvis323
I'd like to make a large scale infinity dodecahedron, or icosahedron, or something similar. I'm just curious if anyone around here has an idea for a different/more complicated geometry that would work well?

1625773983486.png
1625774084559.png

1625774124961.png

Attachments

• 1625774026660.png
    1625774026660.png
    88.8 KB · Views: 191
  • Love
Likes anorlunda
Physics news on Phys.org
Note that the first picture shows one build of hexagons, and the others are triangles. Pentagons might also be good.

Suppose you suspended a different geodesic dome inside the first one? Then you could combine images with N sided and M sided factets.

If you made one of the facet faces a LED flat panel display, you could inject all sorts of other shapes dynamically.

In addition to a DIY shop project, it would make a great DIY software project to make simulators to preview the patterns you would get with different patterns.

Good luck. Don't forget to post pictures of what you come up with when finished.

Likes Jarvis323

1. What is an infinity mirror geometry?

An infinity mirror geometry is a type of optical illusion that creates the appearance of an infinite number of reflections between two parallel mirrors. It is created by placing a light source between two mirrors and using partially reflective glass to create a "tunnel" effect.

2. How can I create my own infinity mirror geometry?

To create your own infinity mirror geometry, you will need two mirrors of the same size, a light source such as LED strips or string lights, and partially reflective glass. You can also add additional elements such as colored lights or geometric shapes to enhance the illusion.

3. What are some popular shapes for infinity mirror geometries?

Some popular shapes for infinity mirror geometries include squares, circles, triangles, and hexagons. However, you can use any shape as long as it can be repeated and reflected in the mirrors.

4. How can I make my infinity mirror geometry more visually interesting?

You can make your infinity mirror geometry more visually interesting by incorporating different colors, patterns, or textures into the design. You can also experiment with different types of lighting, such as RGB LEDs, to create a dynamic and ever-changing display.

5. Are there any practical applications for infinity mirror geometries?

While infinity mirror geometries are primarily used for aesthetic purposes, they can also be used in scientific experiments and demonstrations to illustrate concepts such as infinity, reflection, and optical illusions. They can also be used as decorative pieces in homes, offices, or art installations.