Identical Particle States in a Unidimensional Box

In summary, the total spin state does matter for the total function in the unidimensional box with two identical particles. The total wave function must be antisymmetric under particle exchange, meaning the position must be symmetric if the spin is in the singlet state and antisymmetric if the spin is in the triplet state. This can easily be determined for non-interacting particles by considering the boundary condition at x2=x1.
JamesHG
I have an "unidimensional" box with two identical particles in. My question is , Does it matter in which total spin state is my total function? I mean , if it is a singlet or triplet , one is antisymmetrical and the other is symmetrical, but I only integrate the function in the spatial coordinates, so any answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
JamesHG said:
I have an "unidimensional" box with two identical particles in. My question is , Does it matter in which total spin state is my total function? I mean , if it is a singlet or triplet , one is antisymmetrical and the other is symmetrical, but I only integrate the function in the spatial coordinates, so any answer?
It matters. The total wave function, which includes both position and spin, must be antisymmetric under exchange of particles. Thus, the position must be symmetric if the spin is in the singlet state and antisymmetric if the spin is in the triplet state.

If the particles are non-interacting, you can easily write down the wave-function. Take ##x_2\ge x_1## and figure out the boundary condition for ##x_2=x_1##.

What are identical particles in a box?

Identical particles in a box refer to a system of particles that are indistinguishable from one another and are confined to a specific space or volume, such as a container or a box.

Why are identical particles in a box important in science?

Identical particles in a box are important in science because they allow us to model and understand the behavior of particles in a confined space, which has many real-world applications. They also help us understand the principles of quantum mechanics and statistical mechanics.

What are some examples of systems that involve identical particles in a box?

Some examples of systems that involve identical particles in a box include gases in a container, atoms in a solid, and electrons in a semiconductor. These systems have identical particles that are constrained by the boundaries of the container or material.

What are the implications of particles being identical in a box?

The fact that the particles are identical in a box has significant implications on their behavior. For example, in quantum mechanics, identical particles follow the Pauli exclusion principle, which states that no two identical particles can occupy the same quantum state at the same time. This leads to interesting phenomena, such as the formation of energy levels and the behavior of fermions and bosons.

How do scientists study and analyze identical particles in a box?

Scientists use mathematical models and theories, such as quantum mechanics and statistical mechanics, to study and analyze identical particles in a box. They also conduct experiments and simulations to observe the behavior of these particles in different conditions and environments.