Identication of Contaminants In Water

  • Thread starter Thread starter Grove1996
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Water
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Grove1996
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
The purpose:
Basically I've been given a pre-contaminated sample of water, as well as a post-contaminated sample of water. I have to determine what the water is contaminated with, and the concentration of the contaminants present in the water.

My Problem:
I have determined one contaminant that is present in the water, and this is ammonium with a reading of approximately 430 mg/L. However, it's not just ammonium by itself, there are other contaminants present. I've tested for a few things (calcium/chloride/nitrate) and all is fine. I'm limiting it down to phosphate or sulfate. The pH of the water is 8, and I know that ammonium in water creates a more basic solution. So whatever the other contaminant is, I'm assuming there is not much of it. Since I'm in high school the testing equipment I can use is very limited. I can test for phosphate but I am yet to find a procedure I can use to test for sulfate ions.

Does anyone know a procedure I could use to determine the amount of sulfate ions present in a given sample of water. I've searched long and hard and unable to find anything I can do with the equipment I have at school.

Thankyou
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The most obvious approach is the precipitation of barium sulfate.
 
Borek said:
The most obvious approach is the precipitation of barium sulfate.

I've research this a little bit. From my understanding it only can determine whether there is sulfate present in the water sample, but not the concentration.
 
No, it can be used for quantitative analysis as well, this is one of the most basic gravimetric methods.