• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Identify the transition that leads to this line

• Thread starter nick227
  • Start date

Homework Statement

A line of wavelength [tex]\lambda[/tex] = 1091nm is observed in the hydrogen spectrum. Identify the transition that leads to this line.

Homework Equations

I don't know what this is asking...

The Attempt at a Solution

Answers and Replies

Electrons can only orbit the nucleus in specific orbits, which is dependent upon their energy. The radii of the orbits are not continuous, but discrete. Therefore, when an electron moves from a higher energy orbit to a lower energy orbit, it emits a photon of a specific wavelength and energy that corresponds to the difference of energy inherent in these discrete orbits. The Rydberg-Ritz formula should be helpful here.

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

The lines in the hydrogen spectrum are caused by an electron jumping from one of the orbits n=1,2,3,4,... to a lower one. You should be able to find a formula for the wavelength (or energy) of such a transition in terms of those two numbers). Now try putting in values for those numbers until you find a pair that approximately matches 1091nm.

The lines in the hydrogen spectrum are caused by an electron jumping from one of the orbits n=1,2,3,4,... to a lower one. You should be able to find a formula for the wavelength (or energy) of such a transition in terms of those two numbers). Now try putting in values for those numbers until you find a pair that approximately matches 1091nm.
1/[tex]\lambda[/tex] = R(1/nf2-1/ni2)?

so if i try 3 and 6, i get 1.093*10^-6. this is it, right? thanks so much.

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

That's what I got. So it MUST be right.