Identifying a Solid By Its Bounds

In summary, the given integral represents a solid bounded by a cylindrical surface with a height of 2 and a cone-like depression on top with a maximum radius of 2. This solid is not a solid cone, as the maximum z-coordinate varies with the radius and it is also not a solid cylinder.
TranscendArcu

Homework Statement

Sketch the solid whose volume is given by the following integral and then evaluate this integral:

∫(0≤r≤2)∫(0≤θ≤2π)∫(0≤z≤r) (r) dzdθdr

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I kind of cheated and evaluated the integral first. So I have

∫(0≤z≤r) (r) dz = rz, from z=0 to z=r, which I equate to r2.

Observing no θ term in r2, I multiply r2 by 2π to get: 2π*r2. I integrate this with respect to r.

2π ∫(0≤r≤2) r2 = 16π/3.

This seems to resemble hr2π/3, which is the volume of a cone. So I am tempted to believe this solid is a cone. My sketch of the cone has its "nose" at the origin, and it extends upward about the z-axis until z=2. The radius of this cone steadily increases from 0 at the nose to 2 at z=2.

But how would I be able to tell this solid from a cylinder? I think both would have the same bounds, right?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't have a 'dummy' variable of integration like 'r' in your problem in the integration dz to also be the upper bound for the z variable. There must be two different r's there. I'd fix that first. That may be what's making this confusing.

Dick said:
You can't have a 'dummy' variable of integration like 'r' in your problem in the integration dz to also be the upper bound for the z variable. There must be two different r's there. I'd fix that first. That may be what's making this confusing.

Why not? :confused:

After the first 2 integrations we have a cylinder surface with radius r and height r.
TranscendArcu said:
This seems to resemble hr2π/3, which is the volume of a cone. So I am tempted to believe this solid is a cone. My sketch of the cone has its "nose" at the origin, and it extends upward about the z-axis until z=2. The radius of this cone steadily increases from 0 at the nose to 2 at z=2.

But how would I be able to tell this solid from a cylinder? I think both would have the same bounds, right?

You have it right. The solid is bounded by a couple of surfaces of which one is a cone.
However, the resulting solid is not a solid cone.
Consider from where to where the bounds run.

Since the max z-coordinate varies with the radius, it's not a solid cylinder, although a cylinder is another bounding surface.

I like Serena said:
Why not? :confused:

You're right, of course. Too late at night, I think.

So you say this object is bounded both a cone and a cylinder. Then I can only imagine a solid that has a cylindrical surface (with a height from 0 to 2), yet (and my descriptive ability is failing me) also has a depression in the shape of a cone on its top (radius from 0 to 2). To say it another way, suppose a round pencil is tightly enclosed enclosed by a cylinder, then the region I thinking of will be the empty space between the tip of the pencil and where the pencil achieves its maximum diameter.

Yes? No? Incomprehensible?

Yes, very comprehensible!

1. What is the process of identifying a solid by its bounds?

The process of identifying a solid by its bounds involves examining the shape and dimensions of the solid, as well as its boundaries or edges. This can be done by visually inspecting the solid or by taking measurements using tools such as rulers, calipers, or protractors.

2. Why is identifying a solid by its bounds important?

Identifying a solid by its bounds is important because it allows us to accurately describe and classify the solid in question. It also helps us understand the properties and behavior of the solid, which can be useful in various scientific and engineering applications.

3. What are some common methods used to identify a solid by its bounds?

Some common methods used to identify a solid by its bounds include physical inspection, geometric calculations, and computer-aided design (CAD) software. Each method has its own advantages and limitations, and the choice of method depends on the specific needs and constraints of the situation.

4. Can a solid have more than one set of bounds?

Yes, a solid can have multiple sets of bounds. For example, a rectangular prism has six faces, each with its own set of bounds. In some cases, a solid may also have internal boundaries or edges that are not visible from the outside.

5. How does identifying a solid by its bounds differ from identifying it by its volume or surface area?

Identifying a solid by its bounds focuses on the external shape and boundaries of the solid, whereas identifying it by its volume or surface area involves calculating the amount of space inside the solid or the total area of its surfaces. While the two methods are related, they serve different purposes and may require different techniques.