Identifying Forces on a Skier Sliding Down a 15 Degree Slope

• Thread starter xgoddess210
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces
In summary, the forces acting on the skier sliding down a 15 degree slope with non-negligible friction are Kinetic Friction, Weight, and Normal Force. Tension and Thrust are unlikely to be involved and Static Friction is not applicable in this situation.
xgoddess210
Quick question about forces!

Homework Statement

A skier is sliding down a 15 degree slope. Friction is not negligible. Identify all forces on the skier.

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

The choices are: Tension, Kinetic Friction, Weight, Static Friction, Thrust, and Normal Force.

I drew a picture and assumed Kin. Friction, Weight, Thrust, and normal force were the answers but I got it wrong.

I don't think static friction is the answer because that is used to determine the force that must be overcome to initiate movement. Tension seems like a cable or string thing and not something that would affect a skier. I guess I don't know what thrust is but would it be correct to say that K. Friction, weight, and N. Force are the only forces on the skier or am I missing something? Thank you for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org

Any comments or thoughts would be appreciated =]

xgoddess210 said:
I guess I don't know what thrust is but would it be correct to say that K. Friction, weight, and N. Force are the only forces on the skier or am I missing something? Thank you for your help!

Looks right.

There might be thrust if they were pushing with their arms with their poles, but that sounds beyond the scope of the question.

Related to Identifying Forces on a Skier Sliding Down a 15 Degree Slope

1. What is a force?

A force is a push or pull that can cause an object to accelerate or change direction. It is measured in Newtons (N).

2. How many types of forces are there?

There are 4 main types of forces: gravity, electromagnetic, strong nuclear, and weak nuclear. These forces can be either attractive or repulsive.

3. What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass is the amount of matter in an object, while weight is the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass is constant, but weight can change depending on the strength of gravity.

4. What is Newton's Third Law of Motion?

Newton's Third Law of Motion states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when one object exerts a force on another object, the second object exerts an equal force in the opposite direction.

5. How do forces affect motion?

Forces can cause an object to accelerate or decelerate, change direction, or remain at rest. The net force acting on an object determines its motion, according to Newton's Second Law of Motion (F=ma).