Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Identifying Objects in the Solar System

1. Nov 12, 2007 #1
    I have found 11 of these but it's taken two days, if you have any idea where to even begin looking for these please help me out! The ones I can't figure out are 1,2,3,5,6,11,14, and 18. If you know what the others are feel free to let me know no problem in double checking! Thanks a ton

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2007 #2

Staff: Mentor

The link got cut off...
  4. Nov 12, 2007 #3

D H

Staff: Mentor

It's the ... in the URL, which results from not pasting correctly.
  5. Nov 13, 2007 #4
  6. Nov 13, 2007 #5
    Hmmm.. this looks like fun!! Lemme take a stab

2) One of the moons of Saturn. Enceledus?
    3) Iapetus
    4) Juptier
    5) Blueberries on Mars
    6) Volcano on Io (Loki?)
    7) A ridge on Mercury due to contraction while cooling
    8) Mimas
    9) grrr cant remember
    10) Haze in Titan's atmosphere
    11) Triton and Neptune
    12) Uranus
    13) Radio image of Venus, I think
    14) Pluto
    15) Apollo on the moon
    16) Cassini at Saturn
    17) Gaspera and Ida from Galileo
    18) The nucleus of Halley's comet
  7. Nov 13, 2007 #6

These are the official Answers I'm turning in! Thanks for the help!
    1. This one was a joke right…?
    2. Surface of Europa, a moon of Jupiter
    3. Iapetus, a moon of Saturn
    4. Jupiter’s surface
    5. Martian Blueberries
    6. Lo
    7. Mercury’s surface taken from the Mariner 10 on Sept. 21, main focus is the scarp, or cliff, that crosses the image diagonally from top left to lower right
    8. Saturn’s satellite Mimus- taken from the Voyager in 1980
    9. Picture of Uranus’s satellite Miranda taken from the Voyager 2 Mission in 1986
    10. Saturn’s moon Titan in thick haze
    11. Triton (front) Neptune (back)
    12. false color picture of Uranus and its rings and moons from the Hubble Telescope
    13. A 3-d view of Maat Mons on Venus taken during the Magellan mission
    14. Pluto
    15. The Surveyor 1’s shadow on the moon taken in 1966
    16. Cassini at Saturn
    17. Ida with it’s satellite Dactyl on the right
    18. Halley’s Comet

B- Europa’s icy surface is cracked and they think that there might be water beneath that could contain bacterial life.
    C-#10, Due to its substantial atmosphere made of nitrogen and methane, Titan has a similar atmosphere that earth had in its initial state, leading to the conclusion that it might develop life in the future.
  8. Nov 13, 2007 #7

Gold Member

Why is #1 a joke? You're sure it's not the surface of a heavenly body?
  9. Nov 13, 2007 #8

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

#1 is not a joke, I've seen it before, but I don't remember which one it is. It looks like an icy moon, but it could be Earth's moon.

#6. It's spelled Io, not Lo.

#14. There's an object in the inset top left of that image. Do you know what it is?
  10. Nov 14, 2007 #9
    haha oops. thanks and with 14 I think its pluto and and then a zoomed picture of it but idk and i know its not a joke but i cant find it and i didnt want to leave it blank
  11. Nov 14, 2007 #10
    haha imagine that- #1 the "joke" a picture in my textbook- maybe i should open it more often its Callisto
  12. Nov 16, 2007 #11
    Nope, #1 is a closeup of the Mars meteorite that had the "life-form" inclusions in it.
  13. Nov 16, 2007 #12
    On #14 the image in the corner is the "real' picture of Pluto, and the big picture is a computer enhanced digitised representation of a series of those Hubble shots (the pic in the corner is from Hubble BTW).
  14. Nov 16, 2007 #13
    Oh, BTW, I believe that #5 is a picture of one of the other life-forms in our solar system!
  15. Nov 16, 2007 #14
    well either way i think im going to take my textbooks word- but thanks
  16. Nov 16, 2007 #15

Gold Member

No. The blueberries on Mars are definitely not signs of life. They're a well-known geologic process that occurs here on Earth (in fact, that's how they were identified)

But this is hotly debated to be.
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2007
  17. Nov 18, 2007 #16
    Be careful with that KoolAid Eugene!

I suppose it is easier to blow off evidence in the face of skepticism, but...
    What earth based processes produce speroidal hematite separate in a hematite depleted layer of rock? Not any that are geologic! As a matter of fact the only processes that can separate hematite from a mineral matrix without active chemical processes is smelting, and any chemical process CAN be a clue of life. I am not saying the "blueberries" are life, or even an indication of life, but on Earth the only processes that do not involve crystalization that could have produced such spheres is life. Please keep an open mind or we may be responsible for the extinction of the Horta (StarTrek).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?