IEC 60529 Definition of "Finger Safe" for Cylinders

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 9K views
DTM
Messages
75
Reaction score
9
"Finger Safe"

I'm searching for a precise definition of "Finger Safe" according to IEC 60529 which defines
IP2X as "finger safe" for diameters > 12.5mm. Does thes mean a cylinder of > 12.5mm dia. an not touch the contact? Or is there a radius on the end of the cylinder? How long is the cylinder? Anyone have link to a drawing that better defines this 12.5mm "finger"

Thanks
 
Engineering news on Phys.org


I remember way back when having to machine a "finger probe" and a "tool probe" to make UL happy. I searched and found that this place sells a variety of similar probes.
http://www.ergonomicsusa.com/
 


Thanks Mike. That site did have lots of finger probes but none of the specific IP rating I need to meet, IP2X from IEC 60529. Anyone else know of where I might find details of the IP2X finger?
 


Are you trying to make it finger safe for a one year-old?
 


I tried the Google search. Only found lots of products that say their "finger safe" or meet IP2X rating. Thanks for the link to the Amateur radio site, but no copy of IEC 60529 there either.

This application is for an industrial robot. The contacts are for high power welding. They shouldn't ever be powered up when the robot is not attached to the welder and the contacts are exposed, but just in case you don't want to accidently be able to touch it and most of our customers require the IP2X level of protection for safety. We have an approximately 6mm annulus gap, but it's not very deep. Anyone who tries can get at least the tip of their pinky in there. Now someone is going to say, how idiot proof does it need to be? The answer, as idiot proof as the IEC spec requires. That provides some legal protection from eventual lawsuits from said idiots.
 
Last edited: