1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If A and B are nonempty convex sets, and C = A + B, then . . . .

1. Dec 16, 2005 #1
    If A and B are nonempty convex sets. And C = A + B. How to prove int(C) = int(A) + int(B)?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2005 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

By starting with the definitions, presumably.

What have you done on this problem?

P.S.: You really ought to define terms when there might be confusion. "+", for example, could easily mean "union". In fact, that's what I thought it meant at first, but now that I've thought about the problem, I suspect that's not how you're using "+". :smile:

4. Dec 16, 2005 #3
    What I mean is [tex]C = \{ x = x_1 + x_2 \ | \ x_1 \in A, x_2 \in B \}[/tex]. I don't know how to prove it.

However I am able to show C is convex. Pick [tex]x_1^1, x_2^1 \in A[/tex] and [tex]x_1^2, x_2^2 \in B[/tex]. Since A, B are convex, then for [tex]0 \leq \alpha \leq 1[/tex],

[tex]\alpha x_1^1 + (1 - \alpha) x_2^1 \in A[/tex]

and

[tex]\alpha x_1^2 + (1 - \alpha) x_2^2 \in B[/tex].

Hence [tex]\alpha (x_1^1 + x_1^2) + (1 - \alpha)(x_2^1 + x_2^2) \in C[/tex]. But this shows C is convex.

5. Dec 16, 2005 #4
    This is what I have tried a some what modified problem. But it goes nowhere.

I will use 'cl' to mean closure and 'bd' to mean boundary. Assume A = cl(A) and B = cl(B) to make life easier for me. Let [tex]\bar{x} \in \textup{bd}(A)[/tex]. Consider a sequence [tex]\{x_k\}[/tex] belonging to int(A) and converging to a limit point [tex]\bar{x}[/tex]. Pick any [tex]y \in B[/tex]. Hence the sequence [tex]\{x_k + y\}[/tex] converges to some point, say [tex]\bar{z}[/tex]. This [tex]\bar{z}[/tex] may or may not belong to int(C). I reckon if [tex]y \in \textup{bd}(B)[/tex], then the [tex]\bar{z}[/tex] does not belong to int(C).

I don't think it goes well following this line of argument. Need some help.

6. Dec 17, 2005 #5

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Have you tried some concerete examples?

Say, maybe work in R and let A = [0, 1] and B = [3, 4]. Then pick an actual sequence [itex]x_k[/itex] and point y, and see how things play out? Sometimes concrete examples help with our intuition.

Also, you make the statement "This [tex]\bar{z}[/tex] may or may not belong to int(C)." This suggests to me that you ought to try and back it up -- find an actual example where it does belong, and an actual example where it does not belong.

7. Dec 17, 2005 #6
    I was right about it using your simple example. Not sure if it carries to higher dimension.
    Anyway I am still not sure how to go about proving the statement.

Given A, B convex sets in [tex]\mathbb{R}^n[/tex]. Define [tex]C \triangleq A + B = \{x + y \ | \ x \in A, y \in B \}[/tex]. Consider two sequences [tex]\{x_k\} \subset \textup{int}(A), \{y_k\} \subset \textup{int}(B)[/tex] converging to [tex]\bar{x} \in \textup{bd}(A), \bar{y} \in \textup{bd}(B)[/tex], respectively, as [tex]k \to \infty[/tex]. Hence [tex]x_k + y_k \to x + y \notin \textup{int}(A) + \textup{int}(B)[/tex]. Hence [tex]x + y \notin \textup{int}(C)[/tex]. So [tex]\textup{int}(C) = \textup{int}(A + B) = \textup{int}(A) + \textup{int}(B)[/tex].

Alright, it is rubbish.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2005
  8. Dec 18, 2005 #7

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm slightly confused as to what you're saying. Here's something to consider:

What if we take a sequence in [0, 1] converging to 1, and a sequence in [2, 3] converging to 2? Doesn't their sum converge to something in the interior of [0, 1] + [2, 3]?

But since we're dealing with open sets, it might be more fruitful to consider open neighborhoods of points.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?