Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If Earth were a cube

1. Dec 26, 2014 #1
    I was thinking about a situation where we lived in a cubical earth! (Gravity is such that people at each surface will still feel that they are standing upright). I came up with some interesting situations like when a ship crosses an edge or throwing a ball from the edge of surface... What would life be like, in such a scenario?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 26, 2014 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

4. Dec 26, 2014 #3

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Is that true? I don't think it is.

5. Dec 26, 2014 #4

Dale

Staff: Mentor

No, gravity doesn't work that way. People on each surface would feel that they are climbing one of 8 giant mountains. They would not think that the surface is horizontal.

6. Dec 26, 2014 #5
    Why can't gravity act perpendicular to the surface? Like field lines are uniform along positive x direction passing through the y-z plane?

7. Dec 26, 2014 #6

DaveC426913

Gold Member

My interpretation of the OP's post is that he is declaring that gravity would be arranged that way - not that it would naturally be that way.

Thing is, as soon as he does that, he has to come up with the answer to his own question - because it's artificially constructed. To what resolution does the gravity remain normal to a surface? If you are standing one hundred yards from the edge, do you feel gravity normal to the ground i.e. no effect from the other surface? What about one foot from the edge? What if you straddle the edge? Would each leg be pulled in unique direction? Which way would your head be pulled?

8. Dec 26, 2014 #7

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Are you asking why physics works the way it does?

If you stand on the side of a steep hill, which way would gravity pull you? Would you expect to stand perpendicular to the side of the hill?

9. Dec 26, 2014 #8
    The situation is unreal. That's what I wanted to mean. It's hypothetical. Well for simplicity the field lines at one surface do not affect the other. If he is in surface 1, he will feel the gravitational pull of surface 1.
    If he puts one leg on one surface and the other on an adjacent surface?? I don't know what's going to happen.

10. Dec 26, 2014 #9
    No no. If a person stands on a mountain of inclination theta (mountain on surface '1') then he will feel mgsin(theta) along surface and mgcos(theta) along the normal to mountain surface.

11. Dec 26, 2014 #10

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Right. So it's up to you to make up your own scenario. Decide how your fictional artificial gravity generators operate, where they are placed (presumably underground), and how their fields attentuate. Then your occupants will be able to tell where "down" is.

12. Dec 26, 2014 #11

Nugatory

If you actually calculate the gravitational force on the surface using Newton's law of gravity (you will need to do some integration here) , you will find that DaleSpam's response is accurate - unless you suspend the law of gravity, the gravitational field will not be generally perpendicular to the surface and walking to a corner will be like climbing a really high mountain.

If you do the calculations you will also find that the forces on the corners are so great that even solid rock cannot resist them so the corners will be pulled down towards the center. This is, of course, why the earth and all other planet-sized bodies are spherical.

13. Dec 26, 2014 #12

Nugatory

Nor does anyone else, as your question is basically "What do the laws of physics say will happen in a situation in which the laws of physics don't apply?". That's not going to be a productive physics forums discussion so the thread is closed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook