If f(x) = sin(x^3) find f^(15)(0)

  • Thread starter Thread starter Calcotron
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 10K views
Calcotron
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
Short and sweet, If f(x) = sin(x^3) find f^(15)(0) by which I mean find the 15th derivative of f. Do I have to write out all the derivatives and look for a pattern somewhere or is there an easier way?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know the power series expansion for sin? If so, you can read off the derivatives from the Taylor series expansion
[tex] f(x) = \sum_{n=0}^\infty\frac{x^n}{n!}f^{(n)}(0).[/tex]
 
Ok, so from the maclaurin series with x^3 substituted I get f(x) = x^3 - (x^9/ 3!) + (x^15/ 5!) and just from this I can see the 15th derivative of the function is going to be 15!/ 5!. Is that all correctÉ