IF God could actually create miracles

• Thread starter Mattius_
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of bowing down to a higher being if they were to prove themselves through miracles. Some participants believe that worship is unnecessary and that miracles are simply misunderstood natural occurrences. Others suggest that if a God exists and can perform miracles, they would show respect and possibly seek guidance from this being. Ultimately, the conversation highlights the different perspectives on the idea of a higher being and the concept of worship.
Furthermore, the very mind set of looking for something further can be destructive if taken too far. Let's extend the example above of the guy with the car. His mindset has been to live in the future, not the present-- he has been fixated on and concerning himself with things that he does not have but might eventually have in the future. Once he finally gets his car, will he sit back and be happy, or will he too locked into his forward-looking mindset and find a new object to pine for without which he cannot be content? If the latter continues indefinitely, then he will never be happy, because he will always be concerning himself with getting something in the future rather than living in and appreciating what he already has.

So even just the simple fact of wanting something is not necessarily bad. It's wanting something to be attained in the future so infatuously that it comes to the exclusion of appreciation of what you have in the present which is truly destructive to the psyche.

Physics news on Phys.org
One does not have to be discontent to recognize their problems.

"One does not have to be discontent to recognize their problems."

sounds like something data or a vulcan would say. indeed. perhaps this is how God perceives the problems of the world...

(interesting that vulcans were able to mind meld, huh? i'd like to see spok try to mind meld with data. that would be amusing.)

Originally posted by Hurkyl
One does not have to be discontent to recognize their problems.

Nor does one have to concentrate on their problems to be content.

this post was orignally the one you may read below.

Last edited:
We as humans would not bow to something unless we understood it, now God being the "ultimate" being we think he is is rather null, how can a being exist without begining? How do we know that God isn't just some kid on a computer like we are now connecting everything through switches and hacking through the system we know as life? Because we as people do not understand who,what,where,or when God was or is how can we bow to him? I as a being believe in my eyes and think clearly through my mind. I believe i would never bow to something without a who,what,where,when,or why. with only a few of these he still has no full meaning. To be blunt why bow to a man you know nothing about. I once again would never bow to such a being so this concludes my post. :cool:

I'd most likely kneel.

Anyhow, God didn't create us to suffer, but we do. And a lot of it has to do with the decisions we make towards ourselves and the world we live in. There's an abundance of resources in this world, but we undermine our own existence by not listening to the world and not listening to our desires with genuine care and thought. We've been given everything we need to live, and everything so that we may live in harmony with the world. But, it seems we want God to live for us by babying us and spoon feeding us so that we don't have to do a single thing. You call that living?

As we expand our boundries, we change habitats, and thus we're affected by different environments. Every environment provides the resources needed to survive, thus we must adapt to every situation as it comes if we're going to expand the nature of our being. No matter what environment we're in, we affect it while it affects us in return. When we move from one environment to another we change the balance, and if we fail to stabalize the changes, we are inturn infected with change. This is brought to us by bacteria and viruses that cause diseases and other such indisposition that's intended to stabalize the environment in one way or another -- either kill us, make us stronger, remove a competing organism, or a combination of events. There might even be a chain of events that occur.

The larger the change, the larger the chance for an epedemic. And, change becomes drastic when major issues are left unchecked over long periods of time becuase the natural order has shifted so out of line that certain aspects grew uncontrollablly wild and ran amuck leaving behind irreversible consequences. The Black Death is a prime example. If we want to live in this world, it's up to us to manage the environment and learn how it works.

Yes, diseases, viruses, and cancer affect humanity negatively in the short term, but what about the long term?

I know a lot can be overcome if we changed the way we lived.

In the end, we control our thoughts and emotions. For example, if you think you can be either happy or sad, then those are the emotion you will experience. However, if you think you can be either happy or happier. Then you'll at least always be happy. Basically it comes down to deciding who/what controls your thoughts and emotions. The world or you?

Obviously, one can't control what the world or what the throws at him/her, but that individual can control how he/she will deal with each situation by making a choice and learning how to deal with each choice and the consequence it unfolds.

Bottom line is that there are plenty of limits me impose on ourselves because of our mind sets and beliefs we hold. An open door is just a thought away if you have the will to get up and grab the handle to see what's on the otherside.

I mean you have to ask yourself. If you were at the gates of heaven, and you've always expected that in some way they would just open up for you, but that didnt happen, would you fail to open the gates for yourself?

How long would it take for you to try the door yourself?